Grimoire 01 - Chapter 04 - The Might of the Empire [Part 04]

Are you all right, Eve?

Huh...?

Wipe those tears off you face, you're tarnishing your beautiful face.

Tears...? Am I... crying...?

Hehe... It's all right, Eve. Everything's okay... no one blames you for anything... So cheer up, all right?

What? What do you mean?

True, things could have been better, but even so, those times, we always treasure. At the very least, we'll always watch after you.

Watch? But aren't you all here, with me?

Don't worry, Eve. We may have lacked the strength to protect you, but one day, I'm sure, you'll find people who will be able to do so. They will be your friends, your companions, your comrades. People who will cherish you for who you are.

Wait! What do you mean? Are you guys going somewhere? Take me with you!

You still have a bright future ahead of you. There will be times when things get tough. You may even be alone for days on end. But at the end of that road, I'm sure, you'll find the place where you belong.

Wait! Don't go! Don't leave me here! I want to be with you all!

So wipe those tears, and instead, always smile!

Smile...? Smile... but...

And lastly... thank you. Thank you, Eve. We will always be a family. We will always be...

Together.

Huh...? Wait! Don't go! Don't...

Don't leave me here!

..................

............

......

"Urgh...? Where... am I?"

My vision remained hazy as I struggled to open my eyes. My entire body felt weak, and my mouth, parched. The only thing that overwhelmed me was my sense of touch, which was simply the sheer cold air all around me, permeating through my bare skin. It took quite a number of seconds before my senses finally returned.

The first thing I noticed was that I was sitting on the floor, in the middle of a wide and empty room. All I could see around me was the colour white, all the way till the darkness engulfed it in midnight black. Separating these two colours was what seems to be a length of windows far ahead of me that was faintly illuminated with blinding lights.

The next thing I noticed was that my hands were cuffed crossed, above my head. Looking at the cuffs, they were much heavier and probably much stronger compared to the ones before. There was also barely any give, almost zero freedom of movement for my wrists. When I did try to move, I would only feel an acute pain. Tilting my head slightly towards my back, I could vaguely make out the extremely long pole or pillar of sorts that I was cuffed to.

Even so, I attempted to free myself in every possible way I could think of. But of course, they were all of no use. I could only click my tongue in annoyance.

The last thing I noticed, was only something that occurred to me after trying to free myself for a good whole minute.

The entire place was eerily silent.

Looking around, I could vaguely make out the shape of the walls that surrounded me in the darkness. The walls were not flat, but rather, had a unique protruding pattern with a repeating isometric design. Looking upwards towards the ceiling confirmed my theory, for that same pattern was illuminated in all its glory. The only flat wall in this space, was the ground, or rather, the floor.