Grimoire 01 - Chapter 04 - The Might of the Empire [Part 02]

"Hrghhh... Fuwaaaahhh......"

Freya stretched her arms up high, locking it for a good few seconds in an attempt to revitalize herself. The dull humming of electronics, along with the occasional faint buzz of the air conditioning filled her environment. Tilting her head slightly to the side, she looked at a small digital clock that was on her desk, taking note of the time.

"Well, guess I shouldn't stay too late today. There's classes tomorrow too..."

Saying that out loud as if just to remind herself, Freya then closed the couple of thick files that was immediately in front of her, and slid them over to the side. She subsequently removed her lab coat, and let it drape it over the chair she was sitting on.

She stifled a yawn as she interlocked her fingers together and stretched her arms straight out once more. The sleepy demons were really getting to her. Even so, she eventually stood up and made sure her desk was relatively clean, before reaching out for the casual knitted sweater that she threw over a pile of papers nearby.

She could feel the gentle warmth as she slipped it on while she went about the room and made sure that most of the equipment was turned off, and those that were running, were running stable without a hitch.

Once that was done, she spun back around, near the main door. Looking thoroughly satisfied with a pose as if she had just finished a job well done, Freya turned off the main lights to her laboratory, and exited right after.

In less than 10 minutes or so, she was out of the campus.

Walking down the street as she made her way towards the nearest tram station, the nightlife of Lindonium filled her entire view. The occasional sounds of revving engines, chimes from bicycle bells and the digital audio signals from the traffic lights resounded all around her, playing with one another in a rough yet harmonious fashion. The footsteps of various people was the final layer that was added onto the sounds of the city.

As if tuning in to the music of a radio station, Freya herself hummed a simple tune as she took in the sights. Even though she has been living in Lindonium for a few years now, she for one, still remain captivated by the beauty of the city no matter how many times she have seen it.

What should I do for dinner...? Hmmm...

Freya took a look around as she continued walking down the street. The artificial lights from stores and shops alike numbered numerous, with an equal number of people patronizing them. But whenever her eyes chanced upon a group of friends eating out together, or couples even, she became slightly dismayed, and ultimately downhearted. A small teardrop trickled down her cheek as she thought about it.

Looks like I'm eating dinner alone today... again... oh well, let's grab something simple then. If I'm not wrong, this street...

Taking a look across the street, Freya looked for a specific store signage. It did not take her long to find what she was looking for.

"It's been awhile, let's grab some Oriental takeout." Freya murmured to herself as she made her way to the crosswalks. Standing alongside a few others, she patiently waited for the light to turn green while vehicles of various sizes drove past in front of her.

"Oh right, maybe I should start asking Finn and Gaheris out for dinner from now on." Freya said to herself as she lightly tapped a fist on an open palm.

As she continued waiting for the lights to turn, she felt slight vibrations coming out from her right pocket of her denim shorts. In no time at all, she pulled her smartphone out and took a look at the contents of the display.

[Local Region - Unknown Number]

Without hesitation, she swiped her finger across the display and answered the call.