Grimoire 01 - Chapter 03 - The Balance between Science & Magic [Part 01]

The time was currently half past one in the afternoon.

Though the temperature throughout Lindonium was quite cooling, especially around this time of the year, the sun was in its prime position. Even with the gentle breeze all around, one could still feel the heat on their skin while walking outdoors.

"Pwaaah...! That tastes so good!"

Gaheris blurted out after she took a gulp of her iced lavender lemonade, before slumping onto the round wooden table, enjoying the cool temperature with her cheeks.

Just sitting across her was Finn, who was enjoying his cup of iced cappuccino, taking a sip at irregular intervals.

The two of them enjoyed the serenity of the atmosphere as occasional crowds of people would pass by them every now and then. They were currently in the outdoor seating area of a restaurant named Interius Foras, which had a design inspired from log houses. In fact, the interior was akin to that of a log cabin while the outdoor seating area was fenced and with the floors raised, like a veranda. To combat the heat, or the occasional rain, every table outside was equipped with a huge umbrella.

One such table was occupied by none other than Finn and Gaheris.

Just earlier, they, or rather, Finn had just completed his Aptitude Test at AMS. Although there were some complications near the end, the important thing was, he passed. He was now officially a freshman at AMS, albeit slightly late into the academic year, and thus, considered a transfer student of sorts.

Since the test did not take that long, and having expended all that energy, it was the perfect time to grab some lunch. Hence, the duo ventured out of AMS, took the local tram and headed towards Central District. Partly to explore more of Lindonium, but also to take note of the various amenities, facilities and stores that were available to them, especially with regards to daily necessities.

That was when they passed by this restaurant, and were intrigued by its design which really stood out, especially considering most of the buildings were primarily made of steel and concrete. Though that was just part of the reason. The bulk of it was because the prices were affordable. After all, Finn was still just a student, and definitely does not receive a monthly salary.

"Still, I guess we gotta cook majority of the time. Eating out every meal is definitely not an option."

Finn muttered out loud after taking another sip of his iced cappuccino.

"That's all right, we can take turns to cook from time to time."

"Of course, he who does not work, neither shall he eat."

"Urgh, as much I want to refute, I can't..."

The minutes passed as they continued savouring their beverages. When Gaheris was about to finish her mocktail, she gulped the last of it down, looking thoroughly satisfied thereafter.

"Say, what's the plan now?"

Finn was about to take another sip from his iced cappuccino but stopped, the straw just centimetres away from his lips. He took a moment to ponder over Gaheris's question. Their only major activity for today had already been completed. They did not have anything else planned and there was still quite a bit of sunlight left in the day. Thinking of their situation back in the studio apartment, and their current location, there was only one appropriate answer.

"I guess we head to the supermarket and grab all the essentials that we need. This city is going to be our home for the next 3 years after all." Finn said to Gaheris while looking at the constant stream of people walking on the street beside them. "We also have to stock up on ingredients."