Grimoire 01 - Chapter 02 - The Aptitude Test [Part 05]

"Yeah! You go Finn! That was awesome!" I jumped out from my seat and cheered on Finn merrily.

"I guess he really put in a lot of effort, eh?" Freya chimed in.

"Uh huh, you bet! It's pretty amazing to see him do so much from just a single basic spell. Though it also makes sense since he has the affinity for it."

"Considering his traditional background, I have to agree." Freya chuckled a little. "Well I guess we're done for today. Come on, let's go to Finn."

Nodding in agreement, I walked alongside Freya as we made our way down the aisle, towards the stairs which lead to the field, right at the end of it. But before we could reach it, the sound of slow, yet timely clapping filled the area.

The both of us instantly turned around and leaned against the glass railings for a closer look.

Down on the field, there was a man walking slowly towards Finn. He was the source of the clapping. Even from this distance, I could tell that he was quite tall and had the looks to match. Given his outfit, he looked to be someone professional.

Who's that...? Another instructor?

Curiosity was all that filled my mind as I tried to discern the person's identity. It was at this point in time that I heard Freya clicked her tongue and muttered under her breath.

"Tch, what're planning, Reinhardt?"

Sensing the somewhat sour mood coming from that sentence, I turned to ask.

"Someone you don't like?"

"Well, I won't say I don't like, but... he is kind of unsettling. Gets on my nerves at times."

"Hmmm..." I pondered over Freya's choice of words, but did not ask further. Tilting my head back, I squinted my eyes to scrutinize at the man whom Freya called Reinhardt.

At the moment, he seemed to have finished talking with the male instructor and was now striking a conversation with Finn. Though not really to the extent of telepathy, I could feel that Finn was also feeling curious, yet slightly shocked at the same time.

Honestly, what could they be talking about? His performance, maybe? I guess I can ask him later.

But it happened all of a sudden.

"Wha?!"

Both Freya and I let out a shriek at the same time. Of course we would have, that was how absurd the situation just became in the blink of an eye. Without any preparation or warning for that matter, that man, Reinhardt, slashed at Finn with his weapon. If not for Finn's intuition or reflexes, he would have been cut right through right there and then. That was how close it was.

Thankfully, Finn countered almost immediately, ice shards sprouted forth from the ground, gaining in speed towards Reinhardt. But that did not faze Reinhardt at all, for with one simple swing of his blade and a kick off the ground, he cut through all that ice and was right beside Finn once more.

It was then that I saw the first sight of red.

"That bastard! What the hell does he think he's doing?! Wait here, I'll go an—G-Gaheris...?"

I could hear Freya shout out loud right beside me, and I could see her hands visibly shaking from gripping onto the railings too tightly out of the corner of my eye. She was about to tell me something, but stopped short. However, that was none of my concern right now. My eyes were locked onto the battle that was happening tens of metres in front of me.

I did not need anyone to tell me how I looked right now.

I, myself, knew that my entire body was getting hot, and my eyes, were shaking with rising fury.