Request #7

For @iambloodyinspired (I love your username) aka Marina who wanted a short Newt story... I have not yet read the Death Cure, I'm starting it right now, but I think I can figure out how things go when someone isn't cured. If this isn't close enough to the book, just PM me to change it. Nonetheless, I hope you like it!

It was over. It was finally over. No more maze, no more Grievers, no more trials, and now all we had left to do was to see who was immune. It was that simple. I still abhor that day, though. I remember all of us remaining lab rats gathered together to hear who was going to live and who was going to die. I was waiting next to Newt and Thomas in silence. It was so silent, you could hear a pin drop. Newt held my hand and intertwined our fingers. I squeezed quickly and he squeezed back. The anticipation was enough to make me sick. The names were called out...

Minho.

Thomas.

Teresa.

Marina.

A few others. But Newt wasn't called out. I was paralyzed with dread. I looked over to see Newt turn ghastly pale. I kissed him hard, despite him being diseased, before they took him away. That was the last I saw him. I know I'll never be the same. His cries still echo in my head sometimes. "Marina! Marina! I love you!" He sobbed. "No! You can't do this!" I reached for his hand but it was slapped away by those sinister beings, who continued to say how thankful we'd be when the entire thing would click together. Even if it was beginning to make sense, my world had just fallen apart once more.