Grief pt. 3

💙Alby:

(from a WCKED employee's POV)
"I think it's time," my coworker says from the desk beside me. "Are you sure?" I ask with an awful lot of uncertainty in my voice.
"Your not getting attached, are you?" Chancellor Paige asks spitefully. Not one peep escapes from the other workers. The only noise is coming from the computers and other devices that surround us. The Chancellor looks me dead in the eye. With a struggled start I force out,"Not at all."
"Good."
Without losing her serious expression she announces what she claims is "great news".
"Our subjects have proved to be better than we had expected. Adding the two newest subjects has sped up the progress even faster. We are all thrilled to see that our texts are exceeding our expectations, but now it's time to move on. Our subjects need to continue past trial one. The walls are to be left open at all times."
"What about the Grievers?" Another worker mentions.
"Excuse me?"
"The monsters we programmed inside the Maze, the boys call them Grievers. Will those still be shut down at a certain time?"
"Of course not."
_______________________
The next day or two were the hardest for me to watch out of the entire first trial. Hell had broken out amongst the subjects. There was one couple who suffered the worst. Y/n and Alby. I wasn't supposed to even remember the participants names yet I knew all of their stories and relationships. It's not like I had anything better to do.
I knew how much Alby loved y/n. I didn't want their special thing to come to an end as abruptly as it did. The girl watched her beloved get whisked away by a six foot mechanic animal beast through the flames that had caught onto the grass and shrubbery. Y/n was traumatized, staying exactly where she stood when Alby was taken with a look I never want to witness ever again. Her voice cracked right before the tears came rushing out. Winston, a friend of Alby's comforted her with the best of his ability as he walked her through the fire and debris. I bit the inside of my lip trying to fight the tears swelling in my own eyes.
"Is this too much for you?" Chancellor Paige said from directly behind me.
I attempted one more time to blink away the water, but it was no use. These kids had been stronger than I'll ever be. What heatless soul would bear no sympathy for them? They're just kids. Kids.
"Is this too much for you?" Chancellor Paige asked me again, to calmly for my liking. I knew she wasn't calm. She never liked the fact that I'd have any emotion for the children.
"Yes. Not only for me, but for them. This is too much for them. Can't you see that?" I said quietly not turning to face her.
"You know what we're doing this for!" Her voice boomed suddenly, making everyone jump with a start. "They'll thank us later."
"You know they won't. There will be more damage done in the end than progress." Without giving her the chance to retort, I stood up and pushed past her, heading to the door. The entire room was shocked at my action, even I.
_______________________
A couple weeks later, I was invited over for lunch with a friend of mine who still works at the WICKED headquarters to this day. That was the day I found out that Alby's lover hadn't made it. They didn't want to explain how she went, but they told me it wasn't an easy death.

A/N: Thank you to everyone who helped my friend and I. I really appreciate it 💕
Songs of the day: The whole 50 Shades of Grey soundtrack (no I haven't watched the movie). And maybe the Insurgent soundtrack.