Chapter 13

Nicholas's desk trembled as a cut-down tree collapsed. When the first tree had fallen on the hill, he had thought he'd get used to it, but still, two weeks later, the sound echoed uneasily in his bones. But it had to be done. Houses weren't built swiftly from anything but wood. Using stone as had been common on The Three Toed Foot would take time and resources Nicholas wasn't willing to sacrifice. And besides, the trees were just standing there, begging to be used.

He longed for the days his people could sleep under roofs and not in cramped cabins or tents. They deserved as much.

Grey-skinned people with saws and axes swarmed the fallen tree like ants on honey, beginning the arduous task of splitting it to planks. He'd join them when his drawings were finished. In his sketchbook so far were two options of how the town would look as a whole, along with a couple of house-sketches. He wanted at least one more layout for the others to vote between. Although it would be years before any of them were fully realized, Nicholas would make sure they got there. It would be his life's work.

Oh, and a name! How had he not thought of it sooner? Maybe something with forest? No, that would be boring. He made a note to ask for suggestions.

They had stopped to trade at the Forest Harbour on the way to the land discovered by Jasper. Their jewelry had earned them tools, grain and dried meat from the locals. Water, they would get from a nearby well Jasper had found, until they dug their own. Nicholas had sacrificed his golden chain for some of the supplies, but kept his ring hidden. His father might have given it up at once to feed his people, but Nicholas wasn't able to part with the one thing remaining of his father. Not yet, possibly never.

His father would have known if he made the right decision. Always put your people first, he would have said. But memories of his family were as important.

After the volcanic eruption, Nicholas could have gone with his mentor. It would have been a unique opportunity to work with the greatest architect he'd ever met. But he wouldn't have been able to show what he was truly capable of, his mentor would always get the most credit and Nicholas would remain an apprentice. So rather than staying a blue whale's fin, he'd chosen to be a seahorse's head, making his own decisions, however small.

Despite numerous expeditions inside the forest, nothing was indicating the forest was haunted. The stories of vengeful spirits and blood-thirsty beast were surely just exaggerations. Their bold move might pay off.

The natural harbor near the hill was promising, but it would need bridges and a search for hidden cliffs under the surface before they could safely lay their four ships to rest there.

Jasper cleared his throat, startling Nicholas.

"You're back already?" Nicholas raised an eyebrow, faking a face of what he hoped was importance. "Did everything go as planned?"

"Yes." Jasper looked at the ground. "We easily sent away the natives. They didn't have much to defend themselves with. As you said." Jasper fiddled with his hands, searching for words.

"Was anyone hurt?" Nicholas asked. "Is that what's troubling you, Jasper?"

"No, not what I saw. They were scared though. The children were crying." His eyes, the color of dried blood, met Nicholas's sunset. "Where will they go now that we're here? Why couldn't we share the land?"

Nicholas sighed. "I've explained. The forest is huge, they'll find somewhere else, just as we've done. If we are going to trade we need proximity to the ocean." He returned to his sketches. "Remember, we're not only doing this for us, but for our future generations."

Jasper let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "Yeah, you're right."