Chapter 5

Cedra yawned and walked out of her tent. The forest was still and dark. Why was she awake already? She returned to the tent, but there she was, asleep.

What the...

She turned back at the forest and spotted Ross. "You have to find your meaning in life," he whispered as he walked away.

"Wait!" She ran after him, zig-zagging between trees and bushes until she reached an ancient apple tree clad in autumn colors. It twisted towards the night sky as if it hadn't been able to decide in which direction to grow.

Cedra walked in under the tree and its falling leaves to search for Ross, but the only living thing there was a slender snake amongst the thick branches. It lowered its triangular head, marbled in green, turquoise and blue, and tasted the air in front of her. Gradually more leaves filled the air until only the snake was visible.

"You have My gratitude for arriving at this late hour," the snake greeted. Cedra simply stared at it. "My magnificent forest is facing a grave threat which has to be dealt with immediately. Amongst all My faithful servants I have chosen you as My voice and hands in My forest."

"Your what?"

The cascade of leaves eased to reveal the tree's naked branches. "It is an honorable duty I can't entrust anyone else with. It pleases Me that you have accepted My Blessing."

"I have?"

The apple tree burst into bloom as the snake withdrew into its crown. "I will soon speak to you again, my faithful."

Cedra drew in breaths as if she'd spent hours underwater. She studied her hands and touched her spinning head to make sure she was awake. "It was just a dream," she mumbled. She tumbled out of the tent, desperate for fresh air.

Ayla was by the cold hearth, trying to bring it back to life. "I was just wondering when you'd wake up," Ayla said without looking up from the firestones.

Cedra rubbed her head with a shaky hand and joined her. "I just had the most bizarre dream of my life."

"What was it-" Ayla stopped herself when she faced Cedra. "What happened to your eyes?"

"My eyes?" Cedra felt her face. "What's wrong with them?"

"They're green...." Ayla squinted and leaned forward as if struck by wonder. "Is that normal for you antlered?"

"What? No. No, they can't be green." Cedra's mind was a maze through which her thoughts had to pass to reach her. Her eyes could only have changed color if the Mother had Blessed her. 

Her dream hadn't just been a dream.

Ross.

"This can't be happening!" Cedra rose and looked around hysterically for something reflective. She had never been interested in her face before, but now she could think of nothing else.

The river.

Cedra sprinted through the forest. Despite her mind being similar to an anthill, she instinctively knew the way to the river. My eyes can't be green. She'd not believe it until she saw it. If they are... She threw away the painful thought. No, Ross can't be dead. He can't.

She didn't slow until the river was a meter from her bare feet. Breathless, she threw herself down on her knees and stared at her reflection. She stared until its green eyes filled with tears and salty rivers flowed down her cheeks.

It could have been minutes or it could have been days until she tore her gaze from the green eyes. Her eyes.

She curled into a ball by the river shore. A soft mule nudged her neck. Apel. She hadn't noticed him arrive. He laid down next to her to share his warmth. A new wave of tears erupted as she hugged her best friend.

Ross wouldn't be at Herbhill when she returned. She'd never see him again. She was a branch torn from a tree.

With no tears left, Cedra stared at the river. Never would she hear his advice or his stories. Never would she need to help him clean up the mess after another crazy idea. He'd taught her nearly everything she knew and now he'd never teach her anything again.

The morning turned to day which turned to evening before her. As the sun traveled across the sky, her mind turned to stone, blocking hunger, cold and grief.