Chapter 7

Brisk wind ruffled Nicholas's long black curls as he stood at the front of the ship. He wore a yellow long-sleeved shirt and white, although stained with grey, baggy pants tucked in a pair of high leather boots. A simple gold chain around his neck and an elaborately engraved golden ring on his hand gleamed in the sun. His sunset eyes scanned the shore for promising areas to build on. He grasped the railing with light grey hands and leaned out over the waves, anything to see more of the land that would soon be theirs. A land with endless possibilities, or so he chose to believe.

Nicholas was desperate for news from his scouts. He needed it as much as air to breath. Their food would completely run out tomorrow, no matter how well they rationed. On top of it was everyone's patience, or rather lack thereof. The ships were drifting bombs, loaded to the brim with grieving, scared and frustrated people. To add hunger would be to light the fuse.

Nicholas had grown up on ships. From their decks he had seen lands of eternal winter, where the sky bled at night. He had seen cliffs striped in black and white, which clawed at the ocean. He had even seen steaming, boiling rivers in which nothing could live. But he had never gone ashore here. The closest he'd been was the Forest Harbour, even though these shores only had been a week's sailing away.

His father had said the forest was haunted, that it was a place were only fools or desperate men went. Ignoring the sinking feeling in his gut, he wondered if his father would have made the same choice he had. Most hadn't.

After the eruption, his people had split in three, unable to agree on a destination. Like a broken seashell, the waves had swept them apart. Four ships, crowded with almost 450 passengers, had chosen to follow Nicholas. It had both shocked him, boosted his ego and eventually giving him brooding anxiety. He could not fail them.

On this land, he'd be able to lay the foundation for future generations, just as his ancestors had done 300 years ago on the Three-Toed Foot. The fertile islands had since then been the hub of his people, allowing them to sail the world, trading and plundering.

"The sea isn't without storms for long," his father had muttered at the first sight of smoke from the volcano. He had been one of many who hadn't made it to a ship. Most of those who had were hurt or struck by loss, or both.

For the other's sake, Nicholas would have to drown his own grief. It was what his father would have advised him to do. Always put your people first. The motto had cost him his life, but was true nonetheless. Nicholas clenched his jaw. They could only move forward, looking back at what they'd lost wasn't an option.

"Lord Nicholas, I have a report for you from Jasper." Taena handed him a scroll, interrupting his thoughts.

Nicholas's heart picked up speed as he read the gathered information about the land before him. He sighed in relief. Jasper had found an area near the Forest Harbour with a hill surrounded by even, fertile ground and high straight trees, perfect for building. The peaceful locals had been seen using a well, which meant freshwater wouldn't be a problem either. 

Nicholas smiled with a fresh wave of excitement. "Taena, send Jasper to draw a map of the area. I want to be able to plan our new home as soon as possible."

><><

A/N: So that's your first encounter with Nicholas, what's your thoughts?