Chapter 8

Rain poured over the tent in which Ayla and Jay hid, eating the rests of a grilled rabbit for breakfast. But it wasn't just the wing-ruining rain they hid from. Ayla was also constantly aware of the bloodthirsty predators that roamed the forest. She had her bow ready for them.

What she couldn't shoot was the forest itself. High and massive trees trapped them like bars of a cell, blocking the sun and the sky, as if the forest somehow knew what they'd done. Maybe it did.

Four days had came and gone amongst the trees and her broken wing was still completely useless. Would she ever get to pray at the temple again? She missed the vast sky that shrank every worry and Cassie who always made her smile.

When Cedra had run off, panicked and green-eyed, Ayla had tried to follow her. It hadn't gone well. In mere seconds she had lost sight of the short, antlered teen and her deer, who blended into the forest like leaves on a tree. It had taken fifteen minutes and a lot of yelling, both from her and Jay, to reach camp.

Hoping Cedra would return soon, Ayla and Jay had waited. By the time the sun had hung low, they'd only eaten a couple of blackberries. And still no sign of Cedra.

When the sun had neared the horizon, Ayla had snatched her bow and quiver and sneaked in amongst the threatening trees, careful to stay close to camp and always know it's direction. She hadn't wished to repeat the morning's mistake.

Within the hour, Ayla had spotted a rabbit and waved away Cedra's warning like an annoying bug.

Heavens knows it was worth it, Ayla thought at the memory of the warm, juicy bunny.

Eventually the rain ceased and they crawled out of the claustrophobic tent. Jay stirred the soaked hearth with singed rabbit bones. Carving a mountain would be easier than to revive it.

Ayla directed her attention to the nearby area, hoping to catch a glimpse of Cedra. But only little birds caught her attention as they soared in and out of the canopies. Lucky bastards.

For each passing day, it became clearer to Ayla that she and Jay didn't belong in the forest. They were falcons trapped in a tree trunk, barely able to stretch their wings. Even their Gods seemed to lose their power under the canopies.

As if out of nowhere, two pairs of brown antlers emerged from the foliage and a knot in Ayla's stomach began to untangle. "Where have you been? What happened?"

Cedra didn't respond until she reached them. She spoke slowly, as if each word was painful. "The Mother has Blessed me. That's why my eyes turned green..."

Ayla didn't get it. "But that sounds like a good thing. Isn't it?"

"It could have been. I guess. But me being Blessed, means Ross, the former Blessed One -" the words stuck in her throat "-has died." Cedra sat down by the hearth next to Jay, drained of emotions. "He was the only family I've had in a decade."

Ayla sat down next to her. "I share your grief." She put an arm around Cedra who soon tensed.

"What have you done?" Cedra rose abruptly and pointed at the charred bones amongst the soaked ashes. "Please tell me you haven't killed anything!"

Ayla wormed under Cedra's scolding. "It can't be that bad. It's just a rabbit."

Cedra inhaled deeply, charging to let them know how wrong they were. But before she could let out her inner storm, Jay intervened.

"Listen, you had been gone for almost a day, and we were hungry. We didn't even know if you'd return! And by the way, won't your amulet protect us?"

Cedra slowly exhaled, but no storm came with it. The color drained from her olive face and her light freckles vanished. "I threw it away," she whispered, shocked to the bone. She hit herself in the head with a fist. "How could I've been so stupid?!"

"Hey! Stop that!" Ayla rose and gripped Cedra's arms. "Breathe, you can make a new."

Cedra tried to pull free, but Ayla held steady. "No, I can't," she snarled. "Not without oceangrass. Which is almost a week away in your snail-pace!"

"If we'd been able to fly we'd be there in hours," Jay argued.

"Sure, but you aren't," Cedra threw back.

Ayla let go of her. "Why don't we just go then?"

"We should." Cedra turned and began to tear down her tent.

Ayla and Jay shared a glance that said Surely she's overreacting? They hadn't even seen the shadow of anything with fangs.

><><

"Burning shit!" Cedra dropped the tent as if it had grown thorns and looked around frantically. "There's a leopard close." She picked up her staff and reassured herself that her knife was at her hip.

With the heart in her throat, Cedra stood her ground next to the fireplace, Apel at her side and her staff ready to break bones. Ayla notched an arrow while Jay picked up a thick branch.

A spotted blur of golden brown leaped out of the foliage. With an iron grip on her staff, Cedra whacked it across the leopard's head. It growled and circled her to face Jay. He jabbed his branch at it, pushing it back.

Cedra locked her green eyes with the leopard's ... turquoise? She squinted. Bleeding thorns. Its eyes were turquoise. Confusion dulled her reflexes, causing her to swing the staff a moment too late. The leopard's claws tore at her right arm, leaving four burning cuts. She let out a creative curse she never thought she'd use.

Ayla loosed an arrow that buried itself in the leopard's front leg, nearly piercing through. If anything, the leopard turned more aggressive.

Mother have mercy, Cedra prayed, her mind fogged with panic.

As if on command, the leopard froze. It stared at Cedra for a moment before running away, leaving them relieved and confused.

><><

A/N: What do you think happened? I'd love to hear your theories! :D

And for those of you who like long chapters; you'll love chapter 9. <3