Chapter 12

Thanks to multiple cups of Cedra's healing tea and a day of rest, both Ayla and Jay could continue the next day. It would be slower than usual, and Apel and Cedra would have to carry more, but at least they'd leave the camp. Finally Cedra would be able to leave the Mother's voice behind.

Or so she fooled herself. When they'd walked for an hour amongst slender leafy trees, leaving the river far behind, the Mother decided to show her continuous presence. I notice you have replaced your previous amulet. What could you possibly have believed to gain by that, my faithful?

Nothing, it had turned out. "My independence," Cedra muttered, careful to keep her voice down. "But You wouldn't know anything about that. Not judging by how You treat me as a servant. One who has to do everything for You."

"Who are you talking to, Cedra?" Jay wondered. He and Ayla had caught up.

Cedra stopped, still facing forward. "No one." How could she possibly explain? She stumbled through a bunch of explanations, none of which she knew how to finish.

They will not understand, the trees whispered.

If the Mother wanted her to stay quiet, then she'd do the opposite. She took a heavy breath. "Yesterday the Mother's Blessing... developed. Before, I only heard Her in dreams... Now She talks whenever She pleases."

"Does She still want you to go to the Harbour?" Ayla asked hesitantly.

Of course I want you to.

"Yes." To pass on the Mother's will, left a bitter taste.

To keep moving was the only way to fool herself she was in charge of her life. At least she had control over her body. Would that too be stolen eventually?

The sight of a grand boulder, as high as most of the young birches surrounding it, crashed Cedra's thoughts into each other. It was a dark stone, artfully swirled as if made by clay. The trees around had been replaced by fire, yet the boulder remained. Memories clung to its rough surface together with the moss.

Oakstream.

It had been more than a decade since the forest fire had turned her home to ashes. The only proof remaining was the young trees. Giant oaks which had given the village its name, stretched out on the ground, covered in vegetation that reclaimed what the trees had borrowed.

"Is it the Mother again?" Ayla whispered behind her. Cedra hadn't noticed how her thoughts had caused her legs to take root.

Apel gently leaned his head on her shoulder. "No. I just realized where we are."

"In a forest next to a big stone? I just realized that too," Jay joked.

She ignored him. "This is where I was born, where a fire burned down my village, my home."

"Oh," was all the Winged Ones could say. They looked around with fresh eyes, trying to see through time at what had once been.

"I need some time alone." Cedra left her staff and climbed the boulder, not bothering to look back to see what they'd do until she returned. She had to think.

From the top, she had a wide view of birches, where last she'd seen billowing smoke. Ross had been right, fire in a forest restart the circle of life. It doesn't shatter what has been, as it first appears, but makes way for what will come.

Cleanly cut stumps were spread amongst the trees. People clearly visited, yet none had chosen to settle. She pulled her knees up to her chin, oddly calm. Maybe one day people would build homes amongst the birches, without knowing others had walked the same ground. Rather oblivion than a scar in the forest, Cedra concluded with a heavy heart.

Reluctantly, she descended. Moments after returning to the ground, the Mother spoke. The people who formed that boulder chose to ignore My laws. Even though they were a clear threat to My forest, My Blessed One at the time did not see what had to be done, just as you do not now, centuries later. Eventually, however, I made her see reason. Just as you will, my faithful.

When you reach the Harbour you will discover yourself how the ashy pests devastate My forest. And you will stop them.

"How?" Any facade of composure Cedra had maintained in front of Ayla and Jay had blown away by the Mother's words. "How exactly will I be able to do that? Why can't they just be allowed to stay? How bad can they be? They're probably just people!"

Ayla and Jay came running with a basket of edible plants as she screamed at the trees.

YOU WILL DO AS I ORDER! the Mother roared in her head.

Cedra's head exploded and was crunched at the same time. She fell to her knees, grasping her head as her vision was replaced by agony.