Chapter 26- Broken

~4:00 a.m~

Keith's tent unzipped and a man crawled inside. He shook Keith back and forth to wake him up. Keith opened his eyes and saw Jason next to him, holding a gun. Keith started to yell but Jason put his hand over his mouth and pointed the gun at his head.
"Sshhh, ssshhhhh", whispered Jason. "Listen for a sec. You want in on an idea I got going?" He took his hand off of Keith's mouth and put his gun away.
"What is it?", asked Keith as he sat up.
"D.C, it's gone and these guys are walking into a city of cold bodies. But I have a way for me, my daughter and you to get out of here with fresh new supplies."
"Why me?"
"Cause you don't get along with these guys and neither do I. They damn near shot you dead back on that highway a couple weeks ago. If the boy hadn't been watching, you wouldn't even be here today."
"How do you know about tha-", Jason started talking over him.
"Thats not the point, the point is that me and you are the odd men out. We don't belong here and neither does my daughter. What so you say? Are you in?"
"Let's do this."

~2:00p.m

Everyone was eating vegetables next to all of the tents and talking to each other. Phillip looked at Jason as he and Keith were talking amongst themselves.
Phillip stood up and looked at the group. He looked at Merle and Ron. "Yesterday, there was a walker that I killed that had no bites, no scratches, just a broken neck", said Phillip.
Jimmy stood up also. "And back at the prison, Tyresse turned, but he wasn't bitten. He was shot in the chest", said Phillip.
"How's that possible?", asked Julie. Everyone but Daryl stood up and looked at Phillip. Phillip stared at the ground and thought for a minute.
Daryl finally stood up and looked at the group. "We're all infected", said Daryl. Everyone looked at him with confused and shocked faces.
"What?", asked Carley.
"Me and my prior group stopped at the CDC a long time ago. When it got overrun, we jetted out of there, but my good friend Don, saw a notepad that said, "We all carry this disease". Only he knew about it. A while after that we got trapped in this place called, Terminus, when we tried to escape, we had zombies in our way and he sacrificed himself so that I could live. Before he sacrificed himself though, he told me what the notepad said and then he let the zombies eat him instead of me." Everyone looked at him even more confused. "Whatever this is, we all carry it. No matter how you die, unless you destroy the brain, you'll turn into one of those things."
"And you never said anything?", said Glenn.
"How was I have known for sure? That man at the CDC was crazy and had a high level of anger."
"That's not your call to make", said Merle. "If I would have knew that, I would have told for the good of everyone."
"Maybe I thought it would be best if people didn't know", yelled Daryl. Everyone looked scared and afraid of him. "Let's get ready for the supply run in 2 hours."

~2 hours later~

"Just me, Daryl, and Merle are going on the supply run this time", said Phillip to the rest of the group.
"Why?", asked Carley. "Do you think it's a good idea for our 3 best guys to be leaving?"
"Just for a little bit", said Daryl.
"I'll keep an eye on things until you get back", said Keith.
"Thank you", replied Phillip. The three men started to walk away when Phillip stopped, and ran inside his tent. He came back out holding a sharp machete. "I almost forgot this." He put in his belt on his left side and the three guys started walking away again.

~2 hours later (almost night)~

"Where are they? They should be back now", said Jimmy as he looked at everyone sitting near a fire. The sun was almost all they way down and Phillip, Daryl, and Merle hadn't gotten back yet.
"They'll be back soon", said Carley. Keith nodded at Jason and Jason nodded back. Keith pulled out a gun and pointed it at Ron.
"Everyone! Put your hands where I can see them!", yelled Keith. Jason stood up and grabbed a baseball bat. "Everyone walk on the other side of the fire, get on your knees and keep your hands up." Jason and Keith followed them and tied all of their hands behind their backs with zip ties. Jason then tied cloths around their necks and around their mouth so that they couldn't yell for help.
"I found this before", Jason said to Keith. Jason walked over to the large pond and pulled away some of the brush. There was a big round tree stump that stood about 2 feet tall.
"That's an even better way to do that", said Keith.
"Bring one of them", said Jason. Keith grabbed Carley, and pulled her towards Jason. Glenn stood up, ran towards Keith and tackled him, still with his hands behind his back.
"Fine", said Keith. He kicked Glenn in his face and brought Carley back over to where the others were. He grabbed Glenn and dragged him over to Jason. He put Glenn on his knees and leaned him up against the stump facing the pond. Glenn had a scared look in his eyes. Jason stood behind Glenn with a baseball bat getting ready to swing it.
"Ready?", asked Jason.
"Yup", said Keith. Jason swung the baseball bat as hard as he could and hit Glenn in the back of the head. Glenn fell over up against the stump, unconscious. Keith grabbed the top back of Glenn's shirt, pulled his neck back, grabbed his knife and slit his throat all the way across his neck. The blood shot heavily into the pond and Glenn fell forward onto the stump. Jason threw his body into the pond and waited for Keith to get the next one. The blue pond water slowly turned into a darkish purple. Keith walked over and grabbed Ron.
"No", said Jason. "The boy." Keith let go of Ron and brought Jimmy over to Jason. Keith leaned him up against the stump, facing the pond and Jason got ready to swing. Jason swung the bat, but an arrow went through his hand and he dropped the bat.
"Put the knife down and throw your guns away from you", said Phillip as he, Daryl and Merle came out of the woods pointing their weapons. Keith threw his knife away and Jason tossed his pistol into the pond.
"Over here", said Merle as he walked towards them and pointed next to the fire. Jason and Keith followed their orders and knelt down next to the fire. Phillip walked in front of Jason and looked at him. Phillip still had the machete on the left side of his belt.
"No point in begging right?", asked Jason.
"No", replied Phillip. "Why are you doing this?"
"Please don't kill us. We'll just leave and never come back", said Jason.
"You got an arrow in your hand, you think you'll survive more than a day out there?", asked Phillip.
"Are you saying you'll let us stay?", asked Jason. Daryl started to untie everyone and pull the cloths off from around their necks.
"No. I'll find something else to do with you", replied Phillip.
"Please, please just let us leave", said Jason.
"You'd do this to anyone right?", asked Phillip. "Kill them and take their stuff, huh? I can't let you leave. And besides, I already made you a promise." Phillip pulled out his machete and swung it at Jason.
"Wait!", yelled Jason. But Phillip completed his swing and put the machete through Jason's left shoulder. Jason fell on his side and Phillip continually swung the machete into the side of his stomach. Julie showed no emotion as she stared at Phillip killing her father. Then Phillip finally put the machete through Jason's head and killed him. Phillip kept the machete planted into Jason's forehead and walked over to Keith who was knelt down on the other side of the fire.
"What do we do with him?", asked Merle. Phillip thought for a minute, and then pushed Keith into the fire with his foot.
"Aahahahahaaahhhhhhhh!", screamed Keith as he burned in the fire, and his flesh started melting. Everyone looked at Phillip in fear, but they were happy that they came back to rescue them.
"This could have been us", said Phillip, having no regret about what he just had done.