Part 15 - "Flashes"

Selena's POV

I was surprised when a decent plate of food was shoved in my direction. A beautiful plate of macaroni, with its glorious red sauce and even cheese on top. I had eaten it with delight, never questioning why I was fed with that horrendous blue goo the past days. I didn't want this food to be taken away. And at the same time, I wasn't focused. I was mostly hungry because for some reason they purposely made me skip my lunch. Perhaps it had something to do with today's tests. Due to the hunger, I must say I didn't remember much of today's tests in general. It felt strange, to say the least. I knew the basic things, but my memory had an immense lack of detail I didn't fully understand. Perhaps I was just tired too.

For the first time, I closed the door to our room feeling healthy and happy. I smiled at Demi as she watched me walk in. She expected me to feel sick again. To turn in immediately. "Hi.." I breathed with a wide smile. Demi quickly stood up with wide eyes and swung her arms around me. "You're okay?" She asked. "Yeah. I ate macaroni." I grinned. Demi sighed deeply and relieved. She then quickly cupped my cheeks and gave me a long kiss. "Thank the heavens. I missed you." She grinned. She took my arms and looked me in the eyes. "Let's celebrate it with tea and cozy blankets." She said excitedly. I nodded and turned around. You grab the blankets. I pressed the touchscreen next to the door and opened a call. "Research Center Service, how may I help you?" "This is the pro-gen. Could you get us two cups of tea maybe?" "Of course. Anything else?" I thought of her question and looked at Demi giving me a shocked face. "I don't know. Do you have anything eatable with the tea?" "We have cookies, cupcakes, and sandwiches. But we don't mind ordering something else for you." "Uh.. no cupcakes are just fine." I tried holding back my laugh when Demi silently cheered.

"Here." I placed the tray of tea onto Demi's lap as I joined her back in bed, covering my legs with our blanket. "Tell me. What did you do today? What do the tests look like? Are they treating you alright?" She asked, handing me my tea. I thought about her overload of questions. "They're treating me just fine." I grinned. "They're just normal tests, you know. Lots of brain scans or scans in general. Sometimes they have to examine me as I do something specific like a game or as I exercise." I explained. "What did they do today?" "I uh.." I fell silent for some reason, as I tried to recollect the memories. I was sure I did some games with a mechanic crown on my head but.. for some reason I also remembered flashes. Loads and loads of flashes. I could see the light flashing right in front of me as I stared at the other side of the room. "Sel?" Her concerned voice woke me back up. I quickly thought of what she asked. "Games. I did those games. On a computer. With a uh.." I pointed at my head. "With a crown on my head so they could see my brainwaves." I explained. She listened to me attentively and then looked down at her tea. "Sometimes I'm afraid they'll do something to you." She confessed. "They won't okay? I promise." I smiled lightly at her.

"And what have you been doing while I was away?" I placed my hand on her leg and smiled, excited to hear her tales. "Well, apparently I have my own personal Entertainment Assistant." She raised an eyebrow. "Do you now?" "His name is Lucas. And he's also a therapist so he's helped me deal with some stuff. Usually, we play games and he even teaches me how to read and write better. But today we did something special." She took a sip of her tea and continued. "There's this machine in the building that allows you to see memories. Like actually see them. And he took me under so I could face some bad memories from the past. Mostly the one where my parents were taken away. And I really learned to deal with it you know. It feels like I finally have peace with it." "That's really good! I'm so proud of you!" I exclaimed. "Thank you. It was quite scary, you know? It really feels like you're there yourself." "Well, it's a good thing you tried, considering you don't always trust people or machines for that matter." I smiled. "Yeah. I really think I trust him." She nodded and placed her empty cup down.