Part 11 - "Motherless Child"

Demi's POV

She handed me another cup of tea after waiting for me to get out of the shower and to sit down on my bed. We had been absolutely quiet on our endless way back to our cabin. We were putting too much energy in walking back through the storm already. The wind blowing through the leaves was too loud for us to hold a normal conversation. Selena figured I had to take a shower to warm up to prevent my sickness from becoming worse. She carefully sat down on my bed, next to me. Her face gave away the pain she felt in her rib. "You have to get it checked out tomorrow." I told her. "I know. I will. I think I broke a rib, but I don't think it's that bad. Maybe I just bruised it." She explained, sipping her tea. I looked back at what I was staring at. Lea's grinning occurred in my head again, echoing through anything else I heard. Selena looked at me with a face that told me she was going to break the ice. I looked down at my tea guiltily. "What were you thinking...?" She asked. "I don't know." I said softly, feeling my eyes fill with tears again. "You were digging your own grave." She added. "Did you.. do it on purpose?" "What?" I looked up at her. "Did you try to.. you know.. die?" "No." I answered shortly, frowning. I thought about her question for a moment.

I simply wasn't thinking clearly. I barely even remembered my walk down that river. I simply remembered feeling sick, knowing I was going home. Lea's death had turned me insane, or so it felt. Maybe I did try to kill myself. In my head, I was just simply focused on joining my family, as if they had been calling me. Not just Lea, my parents too. "I don't know..." I added to my first answer with an even softer voice. I realized Selena actually saved my life. I would've been dead if she weren't there to snatch me out of the water. She even broke a rib for me. She didn't get out of the water when I let myself drift with the violent current. She went after me. I've been so stupid. "I'm sorry.." The tears started tickling down my cheeks. To my surprise, Selena pulled me in a hug again. I let her do it. I didn't have the energy to let my usual stubbornness stop her. I placed my cheek on her shoulder, quietly letting the tears seep into the sleeve of her pajama shirt. "It's okay. I'm here for you, no matter what." She spoke with a muffled voice. Her words didn't help me trying to stop my tears from spilling. "I'm sorry.." I repeated, with a higher voice this time, sobbing for just a second. "Sshh.." She started stroking my hair. It felt soothing. It was quiet for a long while, as she let me cry.

"Sometimes I feel... like a motherless child. Sometimes I feel, I feel like a motherless child. Sometimes.. I feel.. I feel like a motherless child. A long way.. from home, from my home.. A long way from my home." Her singing voice made the grinning in my head stop. A soft soothing voice, like an angel comforting me. I didn't remember ever feeling this safe since my mom died. I was safe in her arms for now. For as long as I needed to recover. And she'd sing for me. She'd feed me and work for me. She no longer allowed me to solve my miserable life all by myself. For now, I could take a break from the stress. For now, I could let someone take care of me. For now, I could let my tears be caught by a warm shoulder.

Her singing stopped, as her hand kept stroking my hair. I lifted my head from her shoulder, looking up at her. Her hand remained on my head, moving to my jaw to cup it. The same stare we shared when we first met. It's as if she could see right through me. It's as if she cared about me, the moment she laid upon me for the first time. Her eyes told me she was concerned about me, but also that she knew it was all going to be okay. That there was a light at the end of the tunnel. To my surprise, she planted her gentle lips onto mine. It wasn't a passionate kiss. It was gentle and it lasted for just a short while. There was a hint of confusion in it, but also a certainty. What we shared at the moment wasn't like anything anyone would ever feel towards another person. She pulled her face away, looking me in the eyes, certain that I wouldn't mind. I didn't, I actually liked it. I found it even more comforting, in a way I hadn't felt before.