Part 1 - "Hunger For Breakfast"

Selena's POV

They were like the stars in the sky. Like fireflies roaming the night. Like the twinkles in the eyes of a child. Like the eyes of peacock feathers. Like sparks of a burning fire. They almost illuminated, I was almost sure they did. My fingers traced the spot that had appeared this very night. Yesterday my life was fine. Yesterday, I was able to hide the spots around my ear and neck. I hid them from the whole world, not wanting anyone to see them. I especially hid them from my father, who would turn his back on me if he found out I was one of The Careless. They were like light-blue freckles. And this very night, the one had appeared on my cheekbone, underneath my left eye. I wished I was able to scrape it off. But I knew it was too late. I was no longer able to hide this one. I had tried covering it with my hair like I did the rest, but it was too notable to cover up.

I knew what it meant for my future. I had seen it coming. I knew soon the spots would determine my fate. I walked out of the bathroom and quickly put on my clothes. I had to make haste, I had started a race with the sun. It was 6 AM in the morning. I thrust as much stuff as I needed in my backpack. I tried my best not to cry. Right now I had to stay strong. My eyes pointed at the small stuffed animal, a blue bunny, that sat in the corner of my bed. Years ago I couldn't take a step outside without that thing. I needed something to hold on to, something from the life I was about to leave behind. I quickly took the bunny and tried placing it in my bag. I was lucky to be able to zip it. I headed towards my dad's bedroom.

The man snored lightly, sleeping peacefully in his bed. I peeked through the small opening of the door, looking at him one last time. I wished I had time to thank him for taking care of me for all these years. I wanted to write him a note. But I simply had no time. And still, I had to give him a sign that I fled on my own, that I wasn't taken by anyone. I took the photo frame of my mom holding me as a baby and placed it on his nightstand, before carefully walking out of his room. I walked downstairs and stuffed the second zip pocket full of food. I didn't mean to steal from dad, but I knew I had no other choice. I wasn't going to get more food for a long time.

I covered my cheeks with my wind mask and opened the door. I looked around, trying to see if any soldiers were guarding the street, but luckily we were left alone tonight. I closed the door behind me and kept scanning the area until I reached a spot where I wasn't visible to the public. The night was still dark, but the sun would come up soon. I looked at the mountains located next to the city. Rumor had it that most fled Careless Ones still roamed between the rocks and the forests on top of those mountains. I was about to find out if the myth was true. I started jogging towards the edge of the city, hiding each time I saw people walking close by. I had to get away from here as soon as possible. I didn't want to be killed.

Demi's POV

The sun had just come up when I woke up. I sat up, checking if Eleanor was still safe. She slept next to me, still wandering in dreamland. I placed my blankets over her fragile 12-year-old body and got up. I crouched down in front of the extinguishing pieces of wood of the small fire I had made. I carefully placed the remaining branches onto each other, blowing until the fire reached them. The fire should keep her warm, at least until she would wake up. I took my jacket and my empty backpack before climbing out of the cave. The cave had been our home for several months. The entrance was very hard to find, and so it gave us the idea of safety. It had been 2 days since our last meal, and so I was driven by hunger. I left the sleeping girl behind, making my way down the mountains. The small village beneath me still slept at this time of day.