Part 14 - "Bendable Minds"

Selena's POV

I was placed on a chair in a room I seemed to have been before. This time they hadn't bound my wrist, instead, a metal belt was placed around my chest and attached to the chair. The nurse who's been examining me for the past few days walked in, this time without saying a thing. I gulped, as I watched her turn off the light. "Good morning." I began with a slight smile, but she didn't reply like she usually did. Instead, she walked through another door, into what looked like a control room, where they could watch me. I jumped when I saw a white screen emerging on the wall in front of me. The white color then quickly disappeared and reappeared again. Flashing a few times. I looked at the control room for a second. What were they planning to do with me? The screen then showed a video, small clips of people inside cells, prisons. They were insane, screaming at the camera until their heads turned red. All of them had blue spots on their skin. The deafening voices muted, and a voice could be heard in the background.

"These prisoners are an accurate example of those who we call the Careless. Identified by the illuminating blue spots spreading on their skin, the Careless are infected by a contagious virus or a malfunction in the human genes. Only 5 percent of the population is cursed with it. The decease does not kill, however, just like rabies it drives the mind insane. The virus convinces the victim to do unlawful deeds, such as stealing, performing rape and even killing its own kind. Symptoms include insomnia, paranoia, and even insanity. Due to the absence of bacteria, the blue spots are believed to rather be a syndrome than a disease. The only cure is for the victim to either be locked up or be killed."

The short documentary ended, and the screen turned white again. It kept flashing, on and off, on and off. I looked away from it with a frown. People's vision of us was twisted and untrue. "Selena." I could hear a man in the control room speak through his microphone. I looked up at them, disturbed and confused. Why would they show me this? "What did you think of the words the video told you?" He asked. "They're incorrect. This is pure propaganda. Do you remember when we were taught how we treated the Jews, 200 years ago? That's exactly what you are doing right-" My words were cut off when a giant sting emerged from my chest. It made the muscles in my chest, shoulders and neck tense immediately. Only after the torture stopped after a few seconds, I realized I had been electrocuted. I panted wildly, staring at the ground with wide eyes. Within an instant, I knew the danger I was in. My heart beat so loudly it felt like I was just shot into space with a rocket. I could've sworn the shock had made it skip a beat. All in all, it was highly unpleasant and I never wanted to feel it again. I looked up when the screen started flashing it's white color again. On and off, on and off, faster and faster. The same video started playing again.

Demi's POV

I could hear someone knocking the door as I looked outside the window. This place was like a desert, and outside the building stood several safari jeeps. Soldiers walked in and out every once in a while. "Come in." I knew it was Lucas, simply by the fun way he knocked with a certain rhythm. "The pro-gen went to work again?" He asked. "Her name is Selena." I didn't face him. I didn't feel like talking at all right now. The way Selena went to bed over the last couple of nights concerned me. She kept looking sick due to whatever meal she had. And her weariness never allowed her to tell me how her day went, or for me to tell about mine. She leaves me sleeping in every morning, so I'm not able to pick up if she's okay. So even though she slept in my arms every night, we never spoke a word to one another. This whole secrecy with the tests was already driving me mad. And it felt like things had just started.