THIRTY-FIVE

Harley Anderson

I stay in bed a little while after I've woken up. It's around eight when I open my eyes but I stay wrapped up in my blankets, staring at the curtain in front of the window. The room is warm and cozy and I wish that I could stay here for just a little while longer.

I only turn over to reach for my phone after it's pinged and I glance at the message from Audrey which says: enjoy Las Vegas with Cam, girl! And remember- what happens in Vegas, STAYS IN VEGAS!! ;)

I chuckled to myself before sending her a laughing face. Then, I click on Ramiro's number, typing him a quick text.

Me: how is everything that side?

I stare at my phone for a while, hoping for an immediate response but it doesn't come. Although I've loved this little trip, I haven't being able to shake the looming worry of what's going on back in Concord. Not even today's plans, since Danté and I will be spending our last night in a hotel in Las Vegas, can completely distract me from the feeling that something is wrong.

When my phone vibrates, I grab it and see Ramiro's reply.

Ramiro: Dont worry about this side. Have fun in Oregon... it's your last day there and I'm not going to be the one to spoil it for you.

Chewing on my lip, I decide to tell Ramiro the truth. Danté told Jack that we would be going to Oregon to prevent anyone from possibly following us here but Ramiro doesn't deserved to be lied to. Not after how he's treated me.

Me: we're actually in Nevada...

This time, his response comes in a matter of seconds.

Ramiro: Nevada? Lying to Jack isn't the smartest idea.

Me: I'm visiting my mom and I didn't want him to somehow find out where she lives. If he doesn't already know.

Ramiro: still not the smartest idea but I would have done the same so I get it... tell her and Cameron that I say hello.

Before I can reply, he adds:

Ramiro: and stop texting me so you can enjoy your last day of freedom :p

Smiling at the screen, I put my phone down and drag myself out of bed. I take a quick shower, washing my hair and scrubbing my body with a vanilla scented soap. My hair is left to dry and I pull on a pair of sweats before walking out the hallway and to Danté's door. I knock twice before it swings open, revealing the love of my life in nothing but a pair of jeans. His hair stands up in a damp state and he smiles at me as I grin up at him. He shuts the door as I enter the room. His room looks like he never even slept in it the past two days and I shake my head at how tidy Danté is.

"I don't think that answering the door shirtless is a smart idea. It could have being my mom for all you know." I remark playfully, crossing my arms over my chest. Danté rolls his eyes, pulling a shirt over his head and then running a hand through his hair.

"But you're not complaining right?"

It's my turn to roll my eyes now and I plop down on the bed, splaying out as I lie down on my back.

"Do we have to leave Nevada?" I mumble and I hear Danté grunting and shuffling as he pulls on shoes.  The ceiling fan spins around and around however, soon Danté is blocking my view as he leans over me.

"Don't ruin your last day by being sad, amado." He says as he frowns down at me and I sigh, sitting up so that he stands up straight. Offering a small smile, I ask: