THIRTY-FOUR

Harley Anderson

True to his word, the next morning when I wake up Danté isn't beside me. Surprisingly, I got a good nights sleep anyway and feel more refreshed than I have in while. Pulling the covers off, I climb out of bed and retie my hair. I can hear the faint clanging of utensils downstairs and it's only made louder when I enter the hallway. Quickly, I slip into the bathroom and brush my teeth to get rid of morning breath, before making my way down to the kitchen. When I enter, my mom is standing at the stove in a yellow maxi dress, making an omelette on the stove that smells heavenly. On the counter is fruit and toast and I smile as I make my way to Olivia.

"Morning," I greet and she spins around, smiling at me. I wonder what time it is in order for her to already be dressed and ready for the day.

"Morning hon, how did you sleep?"

"Great." I reply. "How about you?"

She waves the spatula in her hand in a dismissive manner. "I always sleep well. I truly do prefer Nevada over Oregon."

Nodding, I ask: "what can I help with?"

"Can you chop up the fruit please?" She asks and I nod, taking the knife she hands me and beginning to cut the fruit after I've rinsed them thoroughly. Growing up in Olivia's house, she always made me fruit salad since she knew how much I loved it and she always made a point of adding more strawberries than usual.

"Oh." I hear her say and I glance at her over my shoulder, observing her surprised eyes that don't meet my gaze. At first, I'm a little confused until I realise that I'm wearing a tank top and my tattoo is on full display. Swallowing hard, I muster a smile.

"I got it a while ago." I reply, hoping that she drops it.

"I never knew you liked inking your body."

"Just wanted a reminder that I can rise from the ashes just like a Phoenix." Comes my reply, my eyes focused on the knife that slices the peaches in front of me.

"You don't need a tattoo to remind you of th-"

A yawn interrupts Olivia, Danté entering the kitchen with a stretch. The relief floods through me at his presence but I notice how he, too, is already dressed and has seemingly come out of a shower with the way his hair is wet. Unlike his usual attire, Danté goes for a more casual look today- grey sweats and a white shirt paired with sneakers that are too white for how long he's had them.

"What time is it that you two are already dressed?" I ask, looking between Olivia and Danté. She chuckles.

"Thirty minutes past ten, Harley."

I gape at them, not realising how late I slept in. However, I don't regret it at all. I really needed that sleep and I feel much better than I did before.

Making his way to me, Danté pecks my lips in greeting. "Morning amado."

"Morning," I smile, handing him a slice of apple that he pops into his mouth and chews on rather loudly.

"Everyone is awake now." Mia's voice floats into the kitchen as she enters from the backdoor, a doll in hand and her knees muddy.

"And you're already dirty." Olivia huffs, placing her hands on her hips. Mia looks down at her pink tights that are now stained before offering her mother a sheepish grin. Shaking her head to herself, Olivia resumes her task of cooking. "Cameron, do you mind stopping at the grocery store for me quickly? It's just down the street. Mia can direct you there."

Danté nods. "Sure."

Mia excitedly places her doll down on the counter and grabs her moms keys off of the table in the entrance. Olivia hands Danté a short list of what to get and then they're off, leaving Olivia and I alone again. The sizzling of the egg in the pan and the sound of my knife hitting the cutting board fills the silence until I ask: