48

>>>>

>>>>

I woke up to the sound of beeping machines beside me as I felt something pinching my arm. I grunt as I open my eyes, temporarily blinded by the bright lights on the ceiling. I shield my eyes with my arm as I try to adjust to the bright atmosphere.

Looking around me I notice a very distraught Chris beside me. I furrow my eyebrows as I try to comprehend what's happening. Suddenly it all comes back to me as tears form in my eyes again. I lost the case.

"Ella?", Chris says groggily as he looks up at me. His eyes were puffy and tinted pink. He had been crying. My heart broke at the sight before me. "Chris? What happened?"

"Ella? Oh my god, you're okay", he cried as he placed his head on my lap. I brushed my fingers through is hair as my other hand caressed his back, "It's okay, I'm okay"

"You passed out. After the judge announced that Blake was found not guilty you dropped to the floor. I didn't catch you. I wasn't fast enough", he let out a small cry as he looked at me. I brushed a few strands of hair that managed to slip in front of his face away as I smiled at him, "It's not your fault and stop blaming yourself. You couldn't have predicted that I was going to pass out. I'm okay, there's nothing to worry about"

"I'm so sorry", he whispered. "Sorry for what? For not catching me? You don't have to—"

"No, not about that. I'm sorry you lost the case. You should've won", Chris grumbles as he balls up the hospital blanket in his hands. "Something seems off about the case. I don't know what it is but I have a gut feeling that something went wrong", I admit to him as I hold his hand. I wince as the needle in my arm pinches me, making my arm sore. "What do you mean?"

"I don't know, I just have a feeling that the judges decision was influenced by something", I look down at my lap and sigh. Just then Josh comes rushing into the room looking overwhelmed. "Oh thank god you're okay!"

"Josh? What are you doing here?"

"I saw you fall and followed the ambulance all the way to the hospital. They wouldn't let me into your room. I have some news, so you better sit down for this...", he trails off as he takes notice that I'm laying down in a hospital bed. I laugh, shaking my head as he blushes slightly, scratching the back of his head. "I spoke with a few people and they agreed to convince the judge to look over the case one last time"

"And?", I question him unimpressed. "And?! What do you mean and?! We have another chance!", Josh exclaims. "Another chance at what? Losing? I can't lose for a third time, Josh. What makes you think the judge will change his mind?"

"It's worth a shot, Ella. You never know"

"I guess"

***

*one week later*

Chris and I had been sleeping peacefully when we were suddenly woken up from the doorbell being rung. I jolted up in fright as I look at Chris. We share a glance before he slowly gets out of bed. I follow him, not wanting him to go downstairs alone. It was currently five in the morning and the sun was just barely rising as we looked through the peep hole. "Who is it?", I whisper to Chris as I clutch his shoulder. "It's Josh", Chris responds confused. We share a look before he opens the door. "Josh?"

"I'm so sorry for waking you kids up but I have some very important news", he says quickly as he rushes into the house. Chris closes the door before leaning against the wall. "Couldn't this wait till later on today? It's five in the morning, Josh"

"You guys better sit down for this. Remember when I told you guys about how the judge would be looking over your case one last time? Well you can forget about that", he starts off, smiling widely. "How is that good news?", I question him as I tighten my robe around me. I was half asleep and I could barely keep my eyes open as I looked at Josh, who seemed to be way too excited this early in the morning.

"Hold on, let me finish", he laughs. "I got a call about an hour ago from one of my colleagues saying they arrested Blake and his lawyer. They found out that Blake and his team bribed the judge in order to make him win the case. The judge has been fired for accepting the money and going against the rules and Blake is finally going to jail. I'm not sure how long he'll be locked up for but what I do know, is that it'll be for a very long time. He has committed many crimes and they just keep piling up. We did it, Ella. We won"

Words could never properly describe the relief and emotions I felt the moment Josh uttered those two words; we won. I dropped to my knees as tears quickly made their way down my face. I was overwhelmed with happiness. I cried into my hands as reality hit me that I had won and that Blake would no longer be able to hurt anyone else or even attempt to. He was locked up and he was gone. I was free. Free of my past and free of all the memories and pain.

A weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Chris drops down right beside me as he wraps his muscular arms around me. I cried into his chest as I replayed Josh's words in my head.

I pull myself together as I stand up to hug Josh. "Thank you", I whisper to him as my voice cracks. He hugs me back as he sighs. "It's all over, Ella"

"Thank you for never giving up on me or my case. We need more people like you in this line of work", I tell him as I pull away from the hug. He smiles at me as he wipes away his own tears that managed to escape his eyes. "You're family, kid. You never once slipped my mind and I'm so happy that this whole thing is over"

"None of this would've been possible if it wasn't for you, Josh. You never gave up even when everyone else did. You helped me win this and for that I'm forever in your debt. Thank you from the bottom of my heart"

"No need to thank me, kid. It's my job", he smiles at me again. He walks towards the door, opening it, "Sorry for waking you guys up so early but I'm going to head out. Go get some rest and congratulations"

He closes the door behind him as I walk up to Chris and kiss him, "You did it, baby. Now let's go get some sleep"

"I love you"

"I love you too, beautiful"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Oh my goodness did you guys see the official posters for Black Widow, WandaVision and The Falcon and The Winter Soldier?! They're amazing and they look so good!!! I'm so excited, I can't wait!