05. we're going on a trip in our favourite greek sea ship

jason, the argonauts and medea

------

The story begins in Iolcus (now called Volos), and there lived a man named Pelias, and his half brother Aeson. Both of them had the same mother, Tyro, but different fathers. Pelias was born of Tyro and Poseidon, god of the sea. Aeson was born of Tyro and Crestheus, who was the King of Iolcus. 

When Crestheus died, Pelias took the throne from Aeson, and imprisoned him. He had a plan, and he was going to murder all of Aeson's relatives, and even banish his twin brother Neleus. Aeson's wife -Alcimede- died of despair, but before she did, she gave birth to a son, named Jason. 

Jason was sent away so that Pelias could not kill him. He was sent to live with Chiron, who was a centaur. Yes, those half-men half-horse creatures that are super duper smart. Chiron became Jason's tutor, and Jason grew to be a fine young man. 

Going back to Iolcus for a bit now, Pelias was scared he would lose his kingdom, so he went to the Oracle of Delphi, and he was warned about a man with one sandal, and what Pelias did not know, was that this was Hera's revenge for when he angered her years ago, when he killed his stepmother Sidero at Hera's altar and forbade people to worship Hera. Hera would get her revenge now through Jason. 

When Jason was 21, he set out to get the throne -his bloody birthright that he should not have to get back but he does because his uncle is an ass- and the kingdom of Iolcus. As he was crossing the river Anauros, he found an old woman trying to cross over, and so being the good man he was, he helped her across, but the water washed one of his sandals away. 

Jason continued, not knowing that he had just helped Hera, Queen of the Gods, who had disguised herself as an old woman, as part of her plan to get revenge on Pelias. 

When Jason arrived at Iolcus, he found a celebration for Pelias' father, Poseidon. Jason's claim to the throne shocked him and he saw the one sandal, so he agreed to give up the throne if Jason brought him the Golden Fleece from Colchis. This was thought to be impossible, and Pelias was sure Jason would never return. 

But before we continue, let me tell the story of the Golden Fleece. 

Way before Jason was born, there were two children, a boy named Phrixos, and his sister named Helle. And they were born from King Athamas of Archomenus, and the cloud goddess Nephele. But the king was seduced by Ino, the Queen of Thebes, and he took her as his second child. 

But Ino was jealous of his children, and convinced Athamas (tricked him) to sacrifice them for the gods, to ask them to end the famine that was ruining their land. But during the sacrifice, a winged creature with a golden fleece appeared and carried the two children away to Colchis. 

However as they were flying over the sea, Helle fell off and drowned, and the sea where she fell was named Hellespont after her. Phrixos arrived at Colchis, and he later married the daughter of the king, sacrificed that creature to the gods, and then offered the king the Golden Fleece as a thank you for his hospitality. 

Later on, the king heard of a prophecy that talked about the loss of his kingdom to a stranger that wanted to steal the Golden Fleece, and there was also the mention of betrayal by someone in his family. So, the king killed Phrixos because he thought he was the strange man, and then he nailed the Golden Fleece to a tree, and had it be guarded by two fire breathing bulls with bronze hoofs named the Khalkouri, and a dragon. 

And now back to Jason. He knew the journey would be long, and that he needed a strong and quick boat to get him there. Only one man in this land could build him this. Argos. And Argos agreed, and with the help of Athena, they built the largest and sturdiest ship the ancient Greeks had ever seen, a ship that could withstand the ravages of the open sea. Built of oak and pine and over 22 meters in length, the ship had fifty oars and a low draught that allowed her to approach shallow waters without floundering. The construction was such that the mast, the rudder, the anchor and the oars could be removed and the ship then hauled ashore on cylindrical logs.