05. poseidon

*i made a little aesthetic for poseidon*

Poseidon was a cool God, once you get past all the raping and cheating and countless children and affairs

He was God of the Sea, Rivers, Floods, Droughts and Earthquakes. He was also King of the Sea. His symbol was the trident that the Cyclops' made for him, and his sacred animals were Dolphins and Horses.

Poseidon lived in a palace under the ocean with great white sharks as his guards, and merpeople as his servants. His palace was made of pearls, sea stone and abalone shell, and he sat atop a coral throne.

There were these creatures called Nereids, and they were known to live in the sea domain, and they were gorgeous. Poseidon was very proud to have them in his domain, and most of them would have been happy to marry him, but he had his eye set on the one Nereid that was shy and didn't want to get married.

Her name was Amphirite. And she was beautiful, so naturally the Gods pursued her, and so did Poseidon, but she rejected his every attempt. She even left and ran somewhere, causing Poseidon to sadden, and he looked for her everywhere.

Eventually, Delphin, the immortal King of Dolphins had enough of it, and went to look for Amphirite and try and convince her to marry Poseidon. He found her near where Atlas held up the sky.

After speaking to her, he went back to Poseidon and explained that she would marry him, as long as she had the freedom to whatever she wanted. Poseidon was overjoyed and their wedding was the biggest party the ocean had ever seen.

They had a happy marriage, and had three godly children, the first being Triton, who looked like a merman, but had two tails instead of one. Their second child was Rhode, a sea nymph who became the Goddess of the island Rhodes, which was named after her. She ended up marrying the Titan Helios.

And their third child was Kymopleia. She was the last child, and never received the love and attention her siblings did. Her name meant 'wave ranger'. She ended up marrying one of the Hecatoncheires (the hundred-handed beings) -Briares- who were the children of Gaea and Ouranus.

Poseidon of course did have affairs with other beings and mortals, but oddly, it didn't bother Amphirite much, as long as she had her freedom and could do what she wanted, she was happy.

He was the one who created horses, as part of a competition between him and Athena on who would have Athens (then called Attica) as their city. He created horses for them, but didn't end up winning, as they chose Athena to be their patron when she created the olive tree for them, and thus Attica was renamed Athens after their Patron, Athena.

Athena was also involved in how Medusa came to be, along with Poseidon. Medusa was a beautiful young woman who caught the attention of Poseidon. Some stories say that she was flattered and returned his affections, and when he took her off for some private time, she didn't resist.

Other stories; and these are the ones I think are more accurate, say that she didn't return his affections, and didn't want to be near him. He raped her actually.

But what they have in common is that in both stories, the private time/raping happened in Athena's temple, because Poseidon wanted to spite her for 1. taking attica from him, and 2. turning a woman he was pursuing into a crow so he couldn't get her.

In the first version, she went with him willingly, and when he lead her to Athena's temple, she was wary and worried. And when they started their activities, Athena looked down from Olympus and saw it, causing her to be disgusted. She decided to curse Medusa, and gave her brass wings and talons, snake hair and an ugly face that would have the ability to turn anyone who looked at it into stone.

In the second version however, when Poseidon dragged Medusa to Athena's temple to rape her, Athena pitied the woman and gave her snake hair and the power to turn men to stone in order to protect her, and from hence forth, no man ever bothered Medusa, that is until the hero Perseus came looking for her, but we'll get to that later.