Chapter 17 - Demons

Start from the beginning

"What's, going on?"

"You bled out. We were afraid you didn't make it. You weren't in any regeneration system, so Pico had to rush you out into a medical bay. When we heard, we went over there asap. I will have to punish P160 for his, quote on quote, training."

"Do you not remember anything, Nathaniel?"

"Uhm, I guess not."

"..."

"Well, like I said I need to punish Pico for his actions. In the meantime, Z719 will escort you to y'alls room. Everyone else, leave them alone to rest for the rest of the first twenty-four hours. N471224 and R024117, do hourly checkups with Z719 and Z237 and stay here for the day."

Lizzie walks up to me with a soft yet irritated look.

"Come on, dumbass."

She helps me up... Argh! Fuck! All of a sudden my whole body gets weak and I get really lightheaded.

...

We make it to our new room in the Warriors Barracks.

What happened to me? How much do I not remember? Apparently, I was in the medical bay and worse, I was awake at certain times! But, I don't remember any of it.

"Hey, are you okay? Are you feeling any better?"

"I... I just... I don't remember anything that happened after Pico had me outside."

"I know... You've said this three times now."

"I have?"

"You're worrying me... Why did you fight? You know you aren't nearly strong enough for this place especially not the people in it!"

"I felt like I didn't have a choice... Pico didn't."

I sigh realizing I shouldn't put the blame out on him and add excuses.

"I shouldn't have done it... I just... I... I'm sorry."

Lizzie sits on the bed next to me and hugs me.

"Don't be stupid... I don't want to lose you."

I get red in the face. Maybe Pico was right... But, I don't like her! Actually, now that I think about it, she can't lose me as a partner. That's it! She doesn't care! She just wants me so she can get her rank and so her reputation of her partners dying is not exacerbated!

I push her away a bit, with the little strength I've regained.

"What? Why'd you do that?"

"You don't care... Not about me. You're just looking out for yourself!"

"..."

She gets up and goes into the restroom.

I feel bad, but, I still mean it. That's probably the only thing she cares about. I'm just being used, so, there's no point in falling for her. Hell, she even told me herself that she'd use me and treat me wrong.

I hear a light sob. Is... Is she crying?! No! She must be acting. She... I can't... Fuck! Now I feel terrible... No!
It's a trick.

I-Ugh!

My vision is getting blurry.

I feel...

Cold.

.......

"Nathaniel!"

There's a slight ringing in my ear. Lizzie is standing next to my bed I'm lying in... Did I black-out again!? What's wrong with me!