Chapter 9

Colt zipped up his thick sherpa lined jacket. The cold wind was too much against his sweaty skin. The shelter was as good as new, all the fence lines were checked, fuel was topped off in all the vehicles including the big pieces of equipment, and probably fifty other things were accomplished.

"I hope you have some winter gear to wear tomorrow. This cold wind is already brutal," called Dakota from the paddock.

"I do actually. Always prepared."

He looked over her shoulder to see the gray horse just brought in today with his head buried in the slow feeder, covered in a dark blanket.

"How in the world did you blanket that beast?" asked Colt in disbelief.

Dakota shrugged, "Patience I guess."

"Yeah that takes more than patience. It probably took a miracle how high headed and untrusting that horse is."

"Patience is a virtue."

Colt couldn't argue with that. He followed Dakota up the porch and inside the house.

"Oooooo, it's so warm in here," she sighed as she started to shuck off the layers.

"Yes, ma'am. Curtesy of that pellet stove I set up earlier. Glad it's working well," said Colt as he took off his boots by the door.

"Did you get a chance to get that shower running in your bathroom?"

"Nope. I planned on taking that on tomorrow depending on the blizzard coming in. Speaking of which, can I use yours to freshen up before going out?"

"You're heading out? With this weather coming in?"

Colt shrugged. "Why not? I have a good truck and have plenty of experience driving in various weather conditions."

She looked at him in almost disbelief before replying, "Sure. It's in my bedroom to the right."

Colt grabbed a few items before retreating to Dakota's bathroom. He took a quick refreshing shower and stepped out to look at the mirror as he combed back his wet hair. He stopped as something familiar caught his eye. A white business card with worn corners was stuck in the mirror. His last name in blue letters glowed under the ceiling light. He picked it up curiously and stared at it for some time. He remembered that night all too well.

Her eyes is what he remembers the most. The mossy hues were dull and flat. She felt no emotion. No rage. No anger. And, definitely no fear. He couldn't understand how she wasn't in a state of panic that her husband could have killed her. If she felt any pain at all, even physical, she never showed it.

When she gave him the details of what happened, every word was monotoned. It was as if she was going through the motions. He was worried she was in shock but he saw something familiar. He recognized himself in her eyes. The same mental wall of protection was up. The same mask he often wore.
He remembered observing her curiously, ignoring her enraged husband behind him. There was something about her. It was that same feeling he had when he saw her in the bar, not knowing who she was at that time. He never expected her to hold on to his card for this long. Especially from a cop she didn't know.

Colt stepped back out to the living room to find Dakota watching the weather channel intently.

"Snow should hit sometime early morning," she mumbled, her eyes glued to the screen.

He debated on saying anything but decided against it. He pulled on his dress boots and sat the black cowboy hat on his head.

"So, I take it you don't want to go out?" asked Colt.

"If you haven't noticed, I really don't go out very often. That one time you saw me at the bar was a first in a long while."

"You can always stick with me."

Dakota snorted, "And, be a cockblocker? No way."

"I can stick pick up women with you around."

Her eyes widened in surprise before she rolled them, still watching the weather channel in front of her.

"Yeah, it was obvious today at the hardware store," she muttered.

Colt smirked and laughed under his breath. "Well, if you change your mind, you know where I'll be. I hate thinking you will be home alone."

Dakota tore her eyes off the TV to meet his. He could see the confusion behind her stone-cold face. Her green eyes twinkled with curiosity.

"I've been on my own for months now since you first met me. What makes you think it's a problem?"

He realized he hit a nerve and immediately wished he didn't voice his concerns.

"It's the cop in me. Just ignore that last statement," answered Colt quickly.

Dakota gave him a long sideways glance before turning back to the TV. Firecracker, indeed. Though she may not have voiced it, he knew she didn't need a man. Let alone one who hovers over her even with the best intentions. And, that's exactly how he was. He didn't need a woman. Especially one that was clingy and demanding. He's had his fair share of those over the years.

Colt drove down to the bar pleasantly surprised to see so many cars packed in the small parking lot. Droning of music and conversation with the occasional clinking of glasses met his ears as he walked in. All the activity use to be torture for him. But, he has learned that it drowns out his thoughts as much as hard work did. Not to mention he would usually find someone who wanted to have as much fun as him. Speaking of which, a familiar raven-haired girl was sitting in the corner with her friends.

"Bingo," whispered Colt to himself as he flashed her a charming smile.

He swore he could see her swoon where she sat. Her orange vest was replaced with a tiny jacket that wouldn't even qualify as something warm. It barely covered her low cut shirt revealing amble breasts he missed before. He sauntered over to the table, fully aware her friends seemed just as entranced as she did. This could definitely be a fun night depending on how adventurous these girls were.

"Hey Cowboy. I didn't think I would see you again," she purred as she leaned forward to drink him in.

"I planned on giving you a call but was thinking this blizzard coming in wasn't the best timing," replied Colt, as he leaned against the empty chair next to her.

"The taxi driver needs to be worried about the blizzard, not us," laughed her brunette friend.

"Will you ladies mind if I take this empty seat? I would love your company."

Colt smiled at all of them as they nodded eagerly. He couldn't believe his luck. He needed to come out more before a winter storm since it seemed to draw a crowd. It didn't take long for all the girls to be giggling with their drinks. He had both girls on either side of him sneak a hand on his thigh from time to time without the other one knowing. He was just debating on how to approach this situation and maybe go home with at least two of them when a familiar name rolled off the tongue of a man behind him.

"I've missed Dakota so much. I plan on surprising her with my arrival but I didn't expect her to go to her dad's place while I was gone."