Chapter 30

Colt closed the car door behind him as he stepped out on Dakota's dirt driveway. The red glow of the sunset reflected on the windows. He half wondered if Dakota would come running from around back or from in the house. But, he expected her any minute.

"I can't thank you enough for giving me a ride and shirt. You already did so much," said Colt to the attorney now by his side.

"It's the least I can do. And, I'll be following up with you on a lawsuit on this. It's the only way to hold them accountable by making it public."

"Well, I don't want to cause too much trouble. And, I don't want my name blasted everywhere."

"They were the ones who started the trouble, not you. And, I know you are concerned about Dakota with everything going on. I will only do what's best for both of you. If it's too risky, we will sit and wait until she's safe. Or, find another solution."

His voice dropped off as he looked at the dirt road just past the house.

"Why is that horse out?" asked the attorney, pointing out the Palomino.

Colt turned to see Golden Boy, as Dakota fondly calls him, grazing a few hundred feet ahead with a halter and a lead rope dragging behind him. Without a word, they both walked down the road to where the horse was grazing.

"Dakota would never leave a horse out. What time did you call her?" asked Colt, feeling the panic build with every step he took down the road.

"I called her about two hours ago. Texted her an hour ago too."

"Can you handle the horse?" asked Colt shakily.

"Sure."

Before the attorney could get another word out, Colt bolted back to the house. His lungs burned and his mouth grew dry with panic as he reached the front door. It was still locked. He ran around the house, prepared to jump the other fence when he noticed it was wide open but her truck was still there. He ran up the porch and flew through the back door.

"Dakota!" he yelled as he ran through the kitchen.

The only sound that met his ears was his own frantic heartbeat. He ran to the bedroom, pulling out her pistol from the nightstand before quickly clearing the house. He wasn't as precise as he usually was, calling her name around every corner, hoping she would appear with open arms or a sarcastic comment. When the house proved to be empty, he ran outside to the corrals and barn, hoping to not find her injured or worse. He highly doubted that how attentive and cautious she was. As his mind raced with possibilities his heart sank. The rest of the horses were accounted for. He could see she hadn't done evening chores and a horse was out with a lead rope still attached which could only mean one thing.

"Colt?" said the attorney behind him.

He turned to see he had Golden Boy and a worried expression on his face.

"She's not here. Something must have happened," said Colt, swallowing down the bile building in his throat.

"I'll call Ben right now. We will get to the bottom of this and find her."

Colt didn't even want to think of the statistics on that. He's been on missing cases before. They never come back or they show up dead. He felt a sensation he hadn't experienced in some time creep up the longer he stood staring at the deep red sky. Panic. Pure panic that would fog his mind and make him feel as if he were dying. He kept from hyperventilating as the feeling deepened and leaned against the barn as he knees started to shake. He could barely comprehend what the attorney was saying to him, something about Ben on the way. A large hand on his shoulder snapped him from his thoughts.

"Hand me the pistol and let's wait for Ben. He should be here in a few minutes."

Colt nodded, doing as he was told before sitting on a hay bale behind him.

"This must have happened this morning or early afternoon. She didn't do evening chores," he said weakly.

"Take a look around before Ben gets here so you are sure to tell him everything. I know this is difficult but you know as much as I do that every little bit of information is crucial."

Colt nodded, trying to clear his head. The panic slowly faded as he worked to regain his composure. His eyes fell on the round pen gate as it swayed in the wind.

"She would never leave that open. He must have caught her by surprise there," said Colt as he nodded towards the round pen behind the attorney.

"How can you be so sure it was a 'he' behind this? From what you have told me, she has a few people that have it out for her."

"Only one person would go this far."