Chapter 8

Dakota followed Colt through the store. Every selection he made, he fully explained to her his reasoning why. She appreciated he was so careful with spending her money and knew next time he could come by himself. She would prefer that how busy it was. People were flocking to the store before the snow storm hit.

"Crowds bother you?"

She snapped out of her thoughts to see Colt's gray eyes watching her carefully.

"Yes. It can be a burden sometimes," she admitted.

"Me too. But, I've learned over the years how to handle at least a good sized crowd. Not black friday size but maybe a busy Saturday size," he said with a grin.

"Well, if you have tips, I'm all ears."

Colt shrugged and said, "I just have to keep my mind on the objective for today's shopping trip and keep to that. That's the only tip I can give you."

He stacked some boards on the flat cart and pushed it further down the aisle.

"I think that's all I need unless you want me to work on anything else before the storm," he said quietly as he moved closer to the cash register by lumbar.

Dakota shook her head. The shelter was the most important item to fix for now. A raven haired employee practically leaped out of nowhere startling her. The woman's eyes were focused on Colt, seemingly eager to help.

"Did you find everything you needed today? Or was there anything I could help you with before checking out?"

Dakota wanted to roll her eyes. The girl was practically drooling on herself. And, Colt was oblivious to it.

"No thank you, ma'am. This will be all we need," said Colt as he unloaded some of the smaller items on the counter.

The cashier took her sweet time as she rambled to Colt about the weather coming in and other small talk. Dakota thought for sure she was going to lose her cool with this girl taking so long. The cashier continued to bat her eyes at Colt, seemingly mesmerized, and finding everything he said as valuable as liquid gold. When he smiled at her, Dakota realized he had caught on to the girl's infatuation. Now it was his turn to smooth talk her. And, boy did he. The words that came out of his mouth was as smooth as century old scotch. His eyes smoldered with lust and ego. Dakota had enough.

"I think you scanned everything, doll face. What's the total?"

She blinked her eyes a few times and focused on Dakota. She glanced at the screen before quietly reading the total. Dakota didn't even hear her before swiping the card, all too aware of the girl staring daggers at her.

"Maybe I'll see you around, Cowboy," said the cashier as she slipped a card on the counter to Colt.

Dakota quickly grabbed the card, smirking at the raven haired beauty behind the counter.

"I'm sure he will. You have a good day, sweetheart," said Dakota as sarcastically as possible.

At that, she turned on her heel and left. She was halfway across the parking lot when she heard Colt trying to catch up behind her.

"What was all that about?" he called.

Dakota threw down the tailgate and turned around. She outstretched her hand with the white card in-between her pointer and middle finger waiting for Colt to take it from her. She could barely keep from giggling seeing the stupid little hearts draw next to the phone number.

"I can't handle young and dumb, as you politely called my hay guy. I especially can't take much of girls like her. It's one of my downfalls I suppose. Here, take the card. You can call her later and tell her your friend is sorry for not being able to take that sappy stuff much longer."

"So now we are friends, huh?" smirked Colt as he loaded the supplies on the back of the truck.

"Wait, you aren't mad at me?"

Dakota was expecting Colt to be upset with her behavior. Or, at the very least, snatch the card out of her hand.

"Why would I be mad at you? It was trivial. I couldn't help but find it amusing," admitted Colt with a shrug as he closed the tailgate.

He turned to face Dakota. His eyes were smiling as he slowly took the card between her fingers. He glanced down at the card before shoving it in his back pocket.

"I plan on sending you back by yourself next time. So you won't have to deal with me. I'm not sure what came over me," said Dakota.

"Why? I enjoyed your company today. You don't have to stay home because of some girl."

She watched as his smiling eyes turned into curiosity as he studied her face.

"Is it because of the crowd maybe?" he asked.

Dakota wasn't sure at this point but was impressed he remembered their conversation earlier after flirting with the cashier.

"Maybe I got a little overwhelmed in there," said Dakota more to herself than Colt.

"I tell you what. I can come by myself if you absolutely insist. But, I think it would do some good for you to come out maybe when it's not so busy. We can look at renovation supplies together for some of the projects. I don't think you want a guy picking out bathroom tile."

Dakota tried to hide the twitch of her lips as they came up wanting to smile.

"What makes you think I need to come out more?" she asked, unable to resist her inquisitiveness.

"How do you think I got over large crowds? Lots of practice. It's easier when you have someone with you."

She saw a flicker of something cross his face with his last words.

"Are you ready to go back to the ranch? Unless there is another stop we need to make?" asked Colt, changing the subject.

"We will grab a bite to eat then head back. My treat after my rude behavior earlier."

"Dakota, you have to stop apologizing in so many different ways. Don't worry about it. But, I won't turn down some good food," he said with a big grin.

"Well, come on, Cowboy. Let me feed ya," said Dakota, trying her hardest to mimic the girl's high pitch voice.

Colt snickered before jumping in the driver's seat.

"Where to?" he asked.

"Do you think we have time for steak?"

His eyes widened in surprise and excitement before saying, "There's always time for steak!"