Chapter 7

Colt sifted through the supplies Dakota had stored in the barn making a mental list of what he was missing to reinforce the shelter. He also made a silent note to organize all her supplies later. The sound of a diesel truck and a trailer focused his attention outside the barn door. The metal trailer squeaked as it moved back and forth followed by loud bangs from hooves pawing the walls.

"Dakota," called one of the men as he waved her over.

Colt stepped out of the barn and watched Dakota approach the man. He stood close by to eavesdrop. There was something about these two men that stood in front of Dakota that he didn't particularly like. He could tell she felt the same way how stiff her body was.

"No one will take this damn horse and I don't want to waste another cent on him," grumbled the man.

"So take him to an auction, Mr. Logan"

"With the storm coming, they canceled. When I say I don't want to waste another cent on him, I mean not even a day's worth of food. He broke my son's leg during feeding time and he has scuffed up a few other trainers. I don't have any use for an animal who I can't do anything with. He's just a pasture ornament."

"Ha! If you could even call him that! You can't even put him in the pasture. You can't do shit with the damn thing," laughed the younger man.

"Well, something must have happened for him to behave this way," answered Dakota.

Both men laughed together and shook their heads. He could see from the distance he was at that Dakota wasn't buying any of it. She cocked her head to the side and glared at both men before asking, "Well, what do you want me to do with it?"

"Take him off my hands."

"Why would I do that?"

"I can't take him to auction like I intended. That's why he's loaded up in the trailer. Either someone is going to take him off my hands or I'm going to shoot him myself. I can't have a dangerous animal on my property. And, I refuse to waste money to euthanize him. A bullet is cheaper."

Colt could see Dakota stiffen more by his response. He was sure the other two men didn't see it but his trained eye did. She glanced over their shoulders before walking up to the shaking trailer. He could hear her whisper in the window making both men behind her chuckle in amusement. Dakota stepped away and turned back to the men behind her.

"What's the catch?" she asked.

The men looked at each other in surprise. They must not have thought it would have been that easy to throw a problem horse on someone.

"He's papered but I won't sign those over," grumbled Mr. Logan.

"That's fine. I don't need it. I just need the bill of sale and I'll have the brand inspector come out."

The younger man walked back to the truck and pulled out paperwork from the glovebox. He handed them over to the older man to fill out while he continued to talk to Dakota quietly. By her expression, Colt could see she wasn't thrilled speaking to him.

"Back up the trailer to that paddock over there. You can get the horse unloaded there," said Dakota.

"We aren't getting near that horse. He's your property now. Have your Mexican do it."

Colt stiffened. Before he had time to think how to handle the situation, Dakota was jutting herself forward looking ready to scream at the men in front of her.

"You will not refer to my ranch hand by the assumed color of his skin. You will refer to him by his name, Colt."

"Oh, don't be offended , Dakota. We know it's cheaper to hire immigrants and illegals. They might know only a little English but they are hard workers," said Mr. Logan.

Colt stepped over seeing Dakota's face grow red with irritation. He smiled at the two men who seemed surprised he approached them.

"I apologize but I couldn't help but overhear. I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Colt. I was born in raised in Dallas so I'm far from Mexican. Even my folks were born in America. Probably why I don't know any Spanish even though I'm sure it would come in handy. If you just back up the trailer to the paddock over there, I will open the gates to let this horse out so Ms. Taylor can get back to working."

Colt kept the pearly white smile plastered on his lips, enjoying the confused expressions. The men nodded, seemingly embarrassed, before stepping back in their vehicle. He turned to see Dakota wanted to say something but the trailer was already on the move.

"Hold that thought," said Colt as he walked to the paddock and opened the large gate as promised.

He directed the trailer in, watching it swing back and forth from the horse pawing inside. He looked at Dakota who was sitting on top of the pipe fencing to get a better look of everything going on.

"Colt, do you want me to open the trailer door?" asked Dakota.

Colt shook his head. The two men stepped out of the truck and stayed far away, obviously afraid to be near the horse. He didn't waste any time. He opened the trailer door and threw it open. A massive horse ran out onto the dirt. His dapple gray coat was was covered in dirt and mud. The mess still didn't cover the ribs sticking out. His hooves were overgrown making him almost trip as he trotted around the paddock snorting with fear. He wasn't sure why Dakota would take on such a project, especially now being the biggest horse on the ranch. He glanced at her direction and saw that she was studying the beast carefully.

"You are telling me that you couldn't even find a free home with that coat color," giggled Dakota.

"No. And, he's your problem now," grumbled Mr. Logan.

Colt closed the gate as they pulled their trailer out and left the property.

"Good riddances," mumbled Dakota.

"I take it you don't like them too much?" asked Colt as he sat on the fence next to Dakota.

"Nope. They trade horses around like poker chips. I've never known them to keep one horse more than a year or so. And, Mr. Logan's son is a hot mess," she said with a sigh.

She glanced at Colt. Her emerald eyes looking apologetic before even speaking, "I'm sorry about what was said earlier."

"Why are you apologizing? It wasn't you that said those things."

"I was just shocked and angry someone would say that. We have some good people around this town and I just never expected that to be said, especially on my property."

"There's a reason why I left Texas."

Dakota's eyes grew wider, looking shocked and wanting to know more. Colt sighed and continued, "This town has been good to me. I have actually never heard a racist slur until today. Texas is a different story. Especially in small towns. Hard to find work without people assuming you are an illegal or have a green card with my skin color."

"That's horrible. I'm so sorry. People are just so close minded and ignorant. You will never have to deal with that here on my property. I won't tolerate it."

Colt smirked. "I could see that. No reason to worry. Everyone except for those two have been good to me. Now, are you ready to go to the hardware store and get some supplies?"

Freedom Ranchजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें