15: The Heart-to-Heart Talk

Today is Saturday but Brandon and I have an appointment with Mr. Gerald Williams, the Sports Coordinator from Windmere Highschool. Of all the school in Paramere, Windmere Highschool has by far the most advanced and excellent sports program. As part of our data gathering, we are tasked to interview athletes and authorities inside and outside of our school to compare and contrast the sports program and see what changes must be done.

So here we are at Sports City Club where Mr. Williams resides. Coincidentally, Brandon’s family owns a unit in this place so we didn’t have hard time entering the exclusive premises. Mr. Williams is a very jolly and warm person, which you would not expect since he looks like a bouncer due to his buff body.

One thing I’ve learned from our interview with Mr. Williams is that they have a holistic sports program wherein student-athletes undergo a pre-participation screening to see if they are physically, emotionally, psychologically and mentally fit to be in the team. They also have dedicated coaches who really encourage and support the athletes.

After an almost two hour interview, we gave Mr. Williams a token of gratification. He also thanked us for the opportunity and invited us to watch one of their games.

It was already lunch time so Brandon insisted to eat lunch before going our separate ways. I was really hungry so I didn’t decline the offer.

When our food arrived, I heard my stomach growled and felt my mouth watered. The pork steak really looked and smelled delicious. As soon as the waiter settled the food on our table, I immediately dived in my plate to eat.

As I go for my fifth bite, I felt Brandon’s eyes on me. I looked up from my plate and saw him with an amused expression. What surprised me is the fact that he hasn’t even touched his food. Is he staring at me that long?

 “What? Aren’t you hungry?” I asked, feeling conscious all of a sudden.

“Oh... uhm... yeah....” he asked as he tore his gaze away from me and started cutting his steak.

“This is really delicious, Brandon!”

“I’m glad you like it”

“So uhm.... are you ready to tell me what’s going on with you?” he surprised me with his question.

“Uh... yeah yeah... I’ll tell you after we eat. I’m really hungry you know!”

“Of course,” he said while laughing.

While eating, we stayed on the safer topics such as our thesis, our other school requirements, the upcoming Annual Camp and AL (by Brandon’s definition, by the way).

It turned out that AL and Brandon were in the same committee that handles the preparation for the Annual Camp. Since the Camp will be held three weeks from now, Brandon and AL need to meet regularly to polish the preparations.

“Ah, so that’s why you’re always together....” I silently said in my mind.