13: The Girl

A week had passed when I made a resolution for Brandon and I. Our interaction might have lessened a bit but we still act civilly towards each other. He kept asking me if something went wrong and I just explained to him that I’m really busy with other stuff in school and at home. With regards to texting, I told him that I’m saving up my allowance for college so if I did not reply, that means that I’m out of load.

If Brandon did not buy everything I’ve said, he didn’t tell me. He just told me that if I needed something, I can always ask for his help. I thanked him and went off to the cafeteria with my bestfriends.

“I noticed that you spend less time with Brandon. Did something happen?” Krissy asked me during lunch.

“Nope. I was just busy with stuff, you know. Graduation is drawing near. My mom and dad being away most of the time....” I explained.

“I see. But did you notice something new about Brandon?” it was Fleur’s turn to interrogate me.

“Like what?” I asked as I took a bite of my sandwhich.

“If he likes someone new....” Fleur said.

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” I snapped at her.

“Yeah, we saw him with AL yesterday in the library. Right, Krissy?” Fleur told me.

“Yup. And I saw him walking with her a while ago,” Krissy said.

“Who is AL?” I said as I wiped my mouth with tissue.

“Aleina Lerios. The President of the Junior Council,” Fleur said.

Oh that girl. Well, good for him,” I said indifferently.

“Do we smell jellyfish here?” Fleur asked Krissy.

“What jellyfish?” I asked sniffing around.

They both rolled their eyes. “Sometimes, you’re so slow,” was all Fleur said.

   ---

I just finished my interview with Joe Williams for my Features News when I received a text from Brandon.

“Meet me at the library. Let’s finish the Chapter 3 today. I have basketball practice all day tomorrow.” It said.

When I entered the library, I saw Brandon right away since the hall is empty. He is sitting at the far end of the library with books scattered around the table. What caught me off guard is the fact that a girl is sitting beside him. I was trying to figure out who the girl might be. She looks familiar but I’m not sure about her name.

When I reached their table, I got a closer look at the girl. Uh oh. So this is the girl my bestfriends were talking about.