12: The Ocular Inspection

I was really excited for today’s Ocular Inspection. You see, every year, our school hosted an Annual Camp for all of its students. It is usually held outside school and this year they decided to do it in a beach. In short, we were going to the beach! Yipee!

I badly need this short break, especially from all the drama in school. As usual, Jamaica and her minions still give me cold stares whenever we walked across each other. Fleur still teases me with Brandon but at least she is not asking about the developments, or rather the deterioration, of our relationship. Ever since the phone call, Brandon and I became awkward with each other so we’re kind of avoiding each other.

Anyway, you might be wondering why I was here. The thing is, every ocular inspection our grade level coordinator, which is no other than Mr. Vargas, will choose six seniors who will accompany him to the trip. Aside from Amber and Therese, I have no clue who the other three seniors will be.

We all decided to meet up in school at around 6:30 am. When I arrived at our school, I saw Mr. Vargas inside a white van waving at me. When I reached the van, he opened the door for me and saw Amber, Therese and Jonas sitting inside the van. When Therese saw me, she immediately engulfed me in a hug. She motioned for me to sit in between her and Amber. I greeted Amber and she did the same before returning to the book she was reading.

After a while, the door opened once again to reveal Paulo. Is he also coming with us?!

Unlike before, I didn’t feel giddy with his presence. I smiled at myself, I’ve truly moved on from him.

“Maybe you can sit at the back with Jonas,” Mr. Vargas told him.

Paulo did what he was just told.

“Okay, so now we’re settled. Off we go!” I heard Mr. Vargas told the driver of the van.

“I thought we were six?” Jonas asked out of the blue.

“He is in the other car with his dad.” Amber simply said.

“Really? Who is he?” Therese suddenly asked.

“You don’t know?” Amber said as she fixed her glasses.

“No.” we all said at the same time while looking at her expectantly.

“I don’t know either” she told us.

Gosh. We thought....

“How did you know that he’s a boy?” Paulo asked next.

“Can’t you see? They chose three girls and three boys to come in this trip.” She told us as if it’s the obvious.

Ohhh....” we all said at the same time.