5: The Deal

I was so excited for today because we will bake a heart-shaped Strawberry cake. Last week, Ms. Villaflor told us that for our first practical exam, we were tasked to bake whatever cake was assigned to us. She then showed us a transparent bowl with folded papers inside.

“Inside this bowl are ten cakes that you will be baking for our practical exam next week. I need one representative per group to pick from this bowl,” she instructed us.

As you all know, I was grouped with Brandon and Wilson. Believed it or not, our group really does well in this class. Ms. Villaflor even commented to the whole class how organized and cooperative our group is.

As usual, I would always scoff at this. If only she knew what’s really going on with our group, especially with me and Brandon, she’ll be disappointed. I’d love to see her reaction. For sure it will be priceless.

I looked at Wilson and Brandon. We didn’t need to think twice as Wilson walked in front. I thank the heavens for bringing Wilson in our group. Why? Because he is the peacemaker.

Whenever Brandon and I were in a glared fest or whether we’re disagreeing on things, which a lot by the way, Wilson will leave the two of us and make the final decision or volunteer himself just like what he did a while ago. Good move, Wilson. We all knew from experience that Brandon and I will make sure that neither one of us will pick from the bowl. You know, bad luck.  

I was crossing my fingers hoping that we got the easy ones.

When Wilson came up to us, he showed us the paper.

Strawberry cake.

I beamed. That is my favourite cake! Well, the heavens are really kind to me these days.

To make our work easier, we decided to divide the tasks at hand.

I and Brandon, to my utter disappointment, were assigned to do the Chiffon Cake while Wilson volunteered to do the Butter Cream Icing.

I wanted to protest but Wilson gave me look that says “don’t ever think about it.” I can’t argue with Wilson. After giving him no choice of dealing with us, I could not feel more indebted to his. He is the sane one in this group so I make sure to be on his good side most of the time.

I put on my apron and walked towards Brandon. I saw him mixing and beating the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, egg yolks, oil, vanilla and cocoa mixture. Wilson on the other hand was busily beating the cream with sugar.  

I got my own bowl and started beating the egg whites with cream of tartar and sugar.

After the exhausting mixing and beating, I finally prepared the heart-shaped baking pan and put a greased waxed paper in it. I looked into my left and saw Wilson pre-heating the oven.

Brandon then poured the mixture into the pan. After some time, Wilson signalled us to put the pan in the oven. According to him, it would take 30 minutes for it to be done. The boys then decided to clean our station while I volunteered to prepare the strawberries.