8: Bestfriends

Before going to school, I called the clinic and set an appointment with Dr. Esguerra. The receptionist informed me to come next week for the said appointment. I marked the date on my planner and went to school.

I was sitting on my usual spot in the cafeteria with my bestfriends when I heard the whole cafeteria hollered and clapped. I glanced at my side and saw that the basketball players were making their way.

After the semi-final game last Saturday, the basketball team shot to stardom. After two years of not making it to the championship, students began to lose hope and stop coming to their games. Last Saturday was really a turning point for the basketball team. I’m glad that they won.

Paulo is leading them, waving and smiling at the crowd. He pretty much became the hero after he scored 22 points at the game and was recognized as the star player.

Brandon came in last with an arrogant Jamaica clinging in his arm. I felt some negative emotion crept into me. I looked at him and I saw no emotion in his face. Maybe Jamaica forced herself into him, I assured myself.

But not long after, I saw Jamaica planted a kiss in his right cheek. I gaped at the action. The whole cafeteria cheered and I saw the cheerleaders giving Jamaica thumbs up. Unconsciously, I felt my hand clenched. I was so pissed that I can’t continue eating my food.

After all the humiliating he got from Jamaica, he still has the guts to forgive her and acts like nothing happened. He’s such a weird guy! While I on the other hand, who with so much effort, tries to be his friend, could not even have a privilege of being his friend?

I scolded myself. I don’t have the right to feel this way because in the first place, Brandon and I have a rough history. Besides, everyone knows that he likes Jamaica so as a friend, I must feel happy for him.

As the team passed our table, I grabbed Paulo’s arm and gave him my congratulations.

He covered my hand with his as he said “thank you for watching and cheering for us!”. I saw Brandon looking at us with a clenched fist but I just ignored it.

I beamed at Paulo but before I could reply, I saw Risa running towards our direction while shouting Paulo’s name. When she reached us, she engulfed Paulo in a very tight hug. Paulo then let go of my hand and turned to embrace Risa.

“I’m so proud of you, babe!” I heard Risa murmured to his ears.

“I know. I love you, babe!” Paulo said. My heart constricted at his words. Maybe he’s just flirting with Risa, right?

After a while, they finally let go of each other.

“By the way, we need to tell you something important....” Paulo suddenly said in a serious yet happy tone. He let go of Risa’s arm and I saw him intertwined their hands together. Shocked was an understatement of how I felt at that moment. Paulo raised their hands together before saying “we’re together.”

Tell me, I did not hear that right. This cannot be.