Chapter 4 - Alice

Eliza and I were in seventh grade, so this would have been almost eight years ago. The two of us had been friends even before I started transitioning back in grade school, but on this day in particular, everything that we had once shared together would come to a head and nothing would be the same. Unfortunately, that day of the incident happened to be Eliza's birthday. The day we should have been celebrating towards another year of friendship, laughter, and in hopes of a longer journey ahead instead became one that Eliza had forgotten for better or for worse.

"Happy birthday gremlin," I greet, just as I would Eliza every other year on her birthday.

The Eliza I knew from eight years ago was not the same Eliza that I am with today. She was tall, yes, but if you asked her what she wished to be later in life, an Olympic-grade swimmer would have never came up in the conversation, for she was not built like that in the slightest. The Eliza I knew from eight years ago was much more soft-spoken, shy, and kind to everyone, and that kindness was not just to women alone.

Due to the insane growth spurt she had during elementary school, Eliza was starting to have a bit of a weight issue to help cope with her growing body. By the time seventh grade rolled around, she had not only the biggest shoe among the girls in class, but she also had the largest bra amongst them as well. Her face and stomach were about as round and bubbly as her personality was, and even though she wasn't particularly proud of her weight and size, deep down I knew she was happy. Now, Eliza had cut her beautiful and long braided hair to bring out a much more cool side that doesn't show weakness.

Even back then, I believe I was always the same. I was doing my best to make my deepest dream come true, so even in middle school, despite the height of puberty beginning to affect my transition, I was always prepared. I have kept my hair growing longer, my skin growing softer, and my voice growing lighter and more feminine as the time went on. During that time, having a best friend like Eliza who knew my secret even from the beginning, was definitely the thing I needed most to help me become who I am today.

"Hey, do you have any plans after-class?" Eliza asked, now lightly gripping onto my hand as we gingerly made our way over to our lockers.

At this time, I had no reason to have any sort of plan. If Eliza wanted to hang out with me back then, I'd do everything in my power to drop whatever I had planned in order for that to happen. Eliza has and still does mean everything to me, but everything that happened on this day is my fault. I doubt anything I do will help her cope with the trauma.

"No, I don't have anything planned," I respond, giggling as I let go of her hand in order for me to rummage through my locker.

Eliza would be thirteen today, and it's kind of strange to think about it now, but I am older than Eliza by about three months. She was born in April whereas I was born in January, and considering how protective she is of me now, everyone would be quite surprised to know that I am older than her. She'll never admit that she's less mature than me now, but she's almost a completely different person in terms of mindset and personality.

Suddenly, the chubbier woman embraces me in her arms to give me the obligatory hug before our morning classes start. This year, we had no morning classes with each other just like we don't know, so we decided that we'd give each other the love and affection we'd lose when we weren't together in a span of an incredibly long hug. Thinking about it now, she'd be pretty embarrassed to know that she squeezed me for about a minute and a half every day of our one-hundred eighty school year.

"Did you remember to take your pills today?" She asks, resting her head on my shoulder in a worried and loving manner as the last few seconds of our hug begun to pass.

I nod. I have taken a dose of Spironolactone almost every day since Eliza had helped me get them without a prescription. Even now, I muster up some of my day's savings so I can get my hands on the drug, but lately due to my results, I have been weaning off Spironolactone. I owe a lot to Eliza's contributions to my transition, for I could never do anything with my parent's input.