The aftermath

Jack climbed the stairs with Merlin as they made their way back to the Gryffindor Tower and couldn't help but sneak glances at him. He saw him in a completely different light today.

There was a magical charge in the air when Merlin got angry at Ron and it gave Jack a tiny glimpse into how powerful his friend was. He started to understand how much Merlin was holding back. He could always sense that Merlin was different from ordinary wizards, but now, he knew that it was a lot more than that. He wasn't just different. He was special, but at the same time, he didn't brag about it or abuse it and that modesty just made his uniqueness stand out even more.

Merlin noticed. "Jack, will you please tell me why you've been staring at me? I'm feeling pretty self-conscious right now so I'd really love it if you just voiced your thoughts for once."

Jack bit his lip and wasn't sure how to say this. If Merlin was hiding this much magic, he had to have a reason for it. That day, after the Mirror of Erised, when Merlin interrogated him and Jack spilled a bunch of secrets accidentally, they made a small pact with each other. They were not going to ask questions but wait until the other was ready to reveal his secret and he suspected that Merlin wasn't ready yet.

"I just got a glimpse of the real Merlin today, that's all," Jack said quickly.

His friend worried his brow. "Oh, really? You were probably the most informed of my tricks in that meeting."

Jack was also the most skilled at sensing magic at that meeting and in that short span of time his friend was a blazing ball of power.

Merlin didn't let go yet. "Was it the telepathy? Elsa seems excited about that."

"We both are. Expect lots of questions from her."

Merlin grinned. "I'm actually looking forward to teaching you. It's been a while since I knew anyone I could talk to in that way. We could have all sorts of fun once you learn it."

They were a few steps behind Potter and his friends. Jack wondered if they realized how lucky they were that Merlin was willing to share their knowledge with them. Jack did and he felt honored.

"It's something specific, isn't it?" Merlin asked, still worried about Jack's new interest in him.

"As you said, it wasn't anything new. I guess, I just saw the same trick from a different perspective."

If by trick he meant being more impressive than any of the teachers in this school. He couldn't wait to see what he could learn from him. Merlin didn't push further and Jack tried to not stare at him anymore.

Hermione turned and climbed the stairs sideways so she could talk to Merlin.

"You know runes. Are you fluent in Old English?"

Merlin smirked at her. "Yes."

At least she looked properly impressed.

"Next year, they're letting us take more classes and I'm definitely taking Ancient Runes. Will you help me learn? I'd love to get a head start."

Merlin chuckled. "Of course. I'll gladly repay the favor."

Jack looked between the beaming Hermione and his friend and wondered if their relationship was getting any further along. They looked cute together.

As soon as they climbed through the portrait hole, Potter pulled Merlin by his arm and they went into the corner of the common room. Even though Jack didn't feel invited to this conversation, he felt protective of his friend so he tagged along.

"So, what was it that you didn't want to say in there?" Potter asked.

Merlin heaved a sigh. "Well, Ron was onto something and was going to stir up trouble if he continued in that direction."