85. An unhinged wizard

"Get a move on, Fawkes," Albus complained to his Phoenix and gently pet him, only to cause another feather to fall off. "You look like a half-plucked vulture."

The bird squawked in challenge and repositioned himself on his golden perch. It was time for him to burn but he kept delaying it for some reason as if waiting for something. Fawkes gagged and coughed and Albus brought him his water dish to help soothe the dry throat. Why the bird refused to allow himself to be reborn and suffered in his old body was a mystery. Albus would've loved to shed his old self and start over again as a youngster. It would've been so fun.

He turned around, hearing a knock on the door, and invited his visitor.

Severus Snape came in, carrying shoes in his hands which he put on once inside. Albus thought that maybe he was here to discuss earlier events at the Dueling Club. Harry Potter turned out to be Parselmouth! What a delicious little secret the boy had been keeping from everyone!

"Headmaster," Severus said in a shaky voice. "I must use your pensieve."

Albus smoothed out his beard and wondered what was the matter. Severus had been acting very odd in the last few days. He stopped showing up for meals a while ago ever since he started having problems with chairs and had supposedly never left the dungeons anymore. And now, he showed up here in Albus' office looking uncharacteristically distraught. Severus was never distraught. He never showed emotions that would make him appear weak. Something very serious had to have happened.

"Certainly, Severus. What is the matter? Talk to me."

"Someone cursed me again!" His voice was higher pitch than normal and there was a glint of madness in his eye. "I can't climb any stairs without losing my shoes. I've tried everything I can think of to rid myself of this curse but it's just as strong as the one that keeps breaking my chairs."

He walked over to the pensieve in the corner and brought his wand to his temple. "I must find out who it was."

Albus approached him cautiously. Severus in this unstable state was outright dangerous. "May I join you? I might be able to help."

He didn't answer but pulled the memory from his temple and transferred its wispy white form to the pensieve.

They both gripped the edges of the pensieve and fell into the memory. They landed in a Hogwarts hallway and watched the memory-Severus briskly walk from the dungeons and climb the Grand Staircase. A group of students came out of the Great Hall, going in the same direction.

"Watch now. One of them did it. They cursed me in the back!" Severus ran up to the group and started looking at each of the children in detail. "Look which one has a wand out."

Albus watched the group and saw no wands. He did, however, notice that Merlin was among them and felt his stomach drop. Not again.

Carefully, to not let Severus know, Albus watched as Merlin smiled mischievously as if he just got a good idea.

'No,' Albus thought. 'What idea did you get now?'

Merlin slowed down to become absorbed by the group and cast his eyes down. Albus guessed that his eyes flashed amber at this moment.

Then, memory-Severus tripped and everyone stopped. Albus maintained his eye on Merlin who shyly looked at Severus and bit his lip, trying to hide a smile.

Over on the staircase, memory-Severus put his shoes back on but they would not stay on. He stood tall and yelled at the students. Merlin backed away with others while stifling laughter. Why did he always pick on the Potions Master?

Memory-Severus stayed on the staircase and struggled with his shoes while the real Severus pulled on his long hair.

"I saw no wands. Who did this, Headmaster? Which one of them?"

"I saw no wands either," Albus answered truthfully.

He had to have a serious talk with Merlin. This foolishness had to stop.

As the memory ended, they were both pulled back to Albus' office but Severus immediately dived back in. He would keep repeating this memory until he inspected each of the students that were present there.

Albus was sure that Merlin was the one responsible but the sly sorcerer was very sneaky and did not give himself away. He was safe from the Potions Master.

But he wasn't safe from Albus who couldn't wait to get his hands on him.