59. Antidote to Common Poisons

When they came to the Potions classroom with Professor McGonagall, Snape nearly laughed at them. Nearly. Elsa supposed he'd forgotten how to do that properly decades ago. Professor McGonagall excused herself to attend to her duties, and they were left alone with the Potions Master.

"Professor," Elsa tried to follow Padma's advice, "we wouldn't have suggested alternate ways of preparing potions if we didn't have confidence that it can be done. Isn't the art of potion-making a science? Where would science be if not for experimentation?"

The corner of his lip twitched but the rest of his face did not betray any emotion, so she wasn't sure what he thought of her appeal.

"Just so that I can fully comprehend the extent of your" he licked his lips, "request, do divulge, which ingredients offend your religious sensibilities?"

Jack took out their textbook and pointed at a long ingredient list. "Things like fairy wings, unicorn horns, or any part of an animal that wasn't naturally shed. If obtaining the ingredient harmed an animal, especially if it's a magical creature, I won't use it in a potion."

Snape looked a little bit too pleased, and Elsa wished that her brother didn't put so much emotion in his words. Snape seemed to be the type of person who found emotions to be a weakness.

Elsa's mind reeled at that thought because that was her view on emotions as well. Did she really have this much in common with this wizard? She appraised him, from his intimidating posture, permanently sneering expression, and an aura that screamed, "Beware!" Was this how people viewed her? She was the opposite of him as far as looks went, and she didn't think anyone thought her to be a vampire (Jack was still convinced that their professor was secretly a bloodsucker), but she tended to agree with Snape. Even his meanest insults had sound reasoning behind them and could even be quite funny.

"You two dunderheads want to rewrite the work of famous potioneers?"

"We wouldn't dare do this on our own, Professor," Elsa added, remembering the second tip Padma offered, "not without the guidance of an excellent Potions Master."

His eyes lingered on her and a corner of his lip lifted a little. Elsa couldn't believe it. Was that a smile? Did he actually smile at her attempt at flattery?

"I find your ridiculous request so utterly absurd, I'm willing to let you try, only so that I can watch you fail. You will prepare the Antidote to Common Poisons right now and," he paused for effect, "test it on yourselves."

Elsa swallowed. "What?"

Snape looked smug. "Not so confident now?"

Jack took a long breath. "I can do it."

"Then don't waste my time, get on with it."

Jack took the lead on the preparations, and Elsa helped. Some deviations from the recipe she recognized as something he had to have learned from the elixir book—she even remembered which page the tip was on.

"Now we wait five minutes." She pointed to where it said so in their textbook.

"The exact time depends on the heat and cauldron thickness and that isn't exact, is it?" He put his hand over the cauldron and tilted his head, thinking. "It's nearly ready. Maybe one minute"

"Now you're just making this up."

"No, I'm not. I can feel it. You can't?"

She hesitantly put her hand over the cauldron. It felt hot, and she instinctively wanted to pull her hand back, but she waited, trying to feel what he described. She felt a tingle of magic and took her hand back. He could tell it was ready from that?