42. Transfiguration theory

Later that day, Elsa and Jack came into McGonagall's office as directed. The witch gestured for them to sit in front of her desk. The fireplace was lit and the room felt too warm, making Elsa sleepy.

"I called you here today for several reasons," the witch said. "First of all, I wanted to ask you about Halloween. How are you coping?"

"What does that message on the wall mean?" Jack asked.

The witch sighed and linked her hands on the table.

"It is uncertain. It troubles me what was done to Mrs. Norris as her petrification was a result of Dark Magic. I want you to promise me that you will not go wandering about the castle alone. As winter draws closer, it gets dark early. Until we find who was responsible for Mrs. Norris and the writing on the wall, it isn't safe. It has never been more necessary for you to remain in your dorms and stay out of trouble. Can you promise me that?"

"We promise," Elsa answered for both of them. It shouldn't be difficult to upkeep their word since she had no desire to wander the castle in the dark.

"Overall," McGonagall continued, "how has the term been going for you? Do you like Hogwarts?"

"I love it," Elsa blurted and smiled awkwardly. It was the truth. "Everything's great, right, Jack?"

Her brother nodded, but Elsa had a feeling that he was holding something back, that something wasn't 'great' with him. He had been uncharacteristically quiet lately. It hit her that yet again, she didn't know what he was thinking. She used to be able to read him like a book. Were they drifting so far apart that they were losing their ability to understand each other? She always assumed that it was a bond for life.

"You likely expect what else I wanted to discuss with you," McGonagall continued.

Oh, no. The dreaded topic was coming up. Elsa's hands became sweaty, and she wasn't sure if the fireplace was the only one to blame.

"I worry about your lack of progress in my class. All children in your year have completed their transfiguration of a match into a needle and have made progress with the next spell—a pebble into a button. I can't hold back the rest of the class just on your account. I have to move on with the material and I'm afraid the two of you are falling behind. Why do you struggle so much with this spell?"

Elsa swallowed. They were the worst in the entire year. The worst of all four houses.

"I don't know why," she said, blinking moisture out of her eyes. "I've been trying so hard. I'm doing everything the way you say, I know the theory by heart, but it just isn't happening."

She tried to not fall apart. She couldn't accept a failure. She was sure she could perform the same magic the wizard children could, but they were better than her. All of them.

Jack picked at his cuticles and mumbled, "I have a theory."

"I'd like to hear that," Elsa said, leaning back in her chair. What did her brother figure out that she couldn't?

"I think..." he stopped and shyly met McGonagall's eyes. "I mean, I know, it's your specialty, Professor. I don't want to offend you."

"I won't get offended. Say it."

He took a long breath and said quickly, "Our magic is elemental. It's the magic of nature. Transfiguration breaks the rules of nature and that's why we can't do it."

Elsa stared at her brother with disbelief. Was he onto something? "I never thought of it that way. But I want to be able to learn this type of magic too. There must be a way to get around that."