Seven

"Demeter!" the handsome god chuckled as they both embraced for a hug, "You look as beautiful as the day I met you" he kisses my mother's cheek.

I rustle behind my mother as they talk in familiarity.

"And who is this?" he crouches down to face me. His eyes were as blue as the rocky seas.

"Don't be shy" my mother pushes me towards him.

I finally find the confidence to speak and introduce myself. "I'm Kore," I murmur.

He extends his hand so I could shake it. "A pleasure to be standing in the presence of a fellow goddess" he smiles and kisses my palm. I blush as I take in his handsome features. His hair was as wild as seaweed, his body sculpted by Neptune. His eyes were soft but held a sort of mystery.

 His eyes were soft but held a sort of mystery

"Come Poseidon, we just finished harvesting. I'll cook you a hot meal."

"You know I did always love your tasty meals." He winks to me, "she makes the best fruit pies" he brags as if I wasn't familiar with her skill and we all walk back to our estate in the countryside, past the city center.

——

"So what brings you hear?" my mother pushes a hot pie in front of him, "surely not girl troubles." she smiles.

He blushes red and quickly shifts to change the subject. "So Kore how are you? Are you adjusting well to life on earth?"

"It is boring. All I do is learn how to harvest and sleep." I sigh as I push my fork through the hot dessert.

"The life of a goddess can be fun but also must be boring. How do you know what it means to have fun if you never experience the lull?"

"I would much rather live in Olympus. The famous mountain of deities"

"Oh, Olympus is beautiful! The mountains and valleys" he leans back to reminisce, "I cry for the mortals who will never get a chance to see it" 👀

"I am not a mortal and never been up there!" I defend my status.

"Demeter! Don't tell me you've never taken her to Mt. Olympus!" Poseidon gasps.

"No Poseidon and you know why I refuse" she signals him to silence.

"Thank you Poseidon! See mother! he gets it! He would take me! why can't I go with him?"

"It's not that simple daughter... their are rules and regulations and—"

"I would have definitely sneaked you in if I would have known earlier" he shrugs and scarfs down the rest of the pie. My mother zaps him into silence.

"Ouch! Alright I get it" he chuckles, massaging his shoulder from the blow.

"Now Kore... I told you when you are older, you may go"

"Older this!
older that!
The older and older I get the less I seem to know."

"Kore..." she tries to explain.

"I am tired of living in the dark. I deserve to know who my father is and to glance upon the sanctity of Olympus" I retort.

"Kore!"

"I am not even a Demi god! I am a full goddess! Why can't I go up there" I continue, challenging her authority.

"ENOUGH!" my mother slams her fist against the table. I had never seen her this upset.

"You are to NEVER ask me about Olympus again. It is forbidden talk!  Do you understand?"

Her icy stare competes with my stubborn glare but I knew I would never win the challenge. "Yes mother." I whisper and run to my room in tears.

——

A soft knock sounds at my door as I stare at the stars among the skies.

"Go away." I groan.

"It's Poseidon" he voices; I could hear his smile through the door.

"Come in...I guess."

He sauntered in, curiously inspecting my room and trinkets. He bends near my bed to pick up my harvesting basket.

"I know it seems as if you are not getting the answers to your questions, but you will in due time"

"In due time....
When you are older
At a wiser age... These phrases are the ones adults like you use to coax me into silence and honesty I am sick of it"

"Adults like me? How old do you think I am?" He chuckles and lays against the sheets of my lavender bed. He realized my anger and continued. "You remind me of I when I was younger. Being the god of the sea was not an easy title to feat"

He stands and sits next to me, pulling my hand into his. "You will gain your clarity soon, don't worry." he comforts me as he wipes away my tears.

"I know what will cheer you up!"

"What?" I pout defiantly. He hovered his hand out to summon his golden trident. It glows across his palm as he smiles mischievously. He slowly passes me the rod and closes it atop my hand.

"In tuck ack bute" he recites and in my lap falls a wet starfish.

"Ohhh!" I smile and pet it's spiky surface, "What else can it do?" my eyes glow mischievously.

"Ahh ahh! That is only for the god of the seas to know" he winks and stands to leave my room.

"I promised to cheer you up and it seemed to work?" he smiles with accomplishment

"Be nice to your mother; she cares for you...more than you will ever understand." he winks and with the double tap of his trident, disappears, leaving a small puddle of water behind.

——-