Sixty Six

Kore

I still searched the palace in quest for Aides but after a few minutes, I started to grow weary.

Oh! It was no use. He had probably gone to his room or disappeared to the darkest depths of the hidden forest.
This realm was vast and uncharted; one wrong turn and you could be in the garden of souls.

I paused to rest, leaning my back against the corridor wall. "Hmmm" I hummed to myself, what is another place I could go to escape from Zeus?
The place that always gave me hope, the sanctuary where I always felt at ease.

Thé garden of Gethsem.

———

I wonder and smile, coming into the garden, looking up at the tree. I tiptoe to pluck a fruit from its stem, eager to find the pomegranate that once bound me to the underworld. Maybe if I looked into its properties, I could find a seed or potion that could aid me to stay.

I pluck the juiciest from the top and make my way over the swing set Aides had built for me. He had still left it up so it was decorated with bright white roses. I swung back and forth, breaking open the fruit and looking into its core.

"What is that?" I hear Aides' voice and a spirit of relief washed over me. Even his voice lulled me into a stupor of tranquility.

"Nothing" I smiled pulling the fruit in front of my torso. He came behind me on the swing and looked at the tree before turning his head to me... I mean me as Hera.

He held the side of each rope, halting my movement.
"You sure it's nothing?" He whispered into my ear
His voice sent shivers down my spine

"Well, it may be nothing to you. To me it's something." I answer flirtatiously. He leans a warm palm down my arm, pulling it from my stomach and bringing it above my head.

"Now why would thé goddess of marriage and family be hiding a pomegranate behind her back?" He takes it from my hand and tosses it up into the air.

"I don't know? Maybe to make a new potion to make my husband a better man." He breaks it open and gives half to me. I run a finger against the seeds, popping a few into my mouth. "I also heard pomegranates help stimulate other things too."

He smirked, understanding my vulgarity but appreciating my bluntness. He took the fruit from my hand and led me to stand. I walked a little, pushing my back against the tree and staring up at him.
"Are you mad I took it from your tree?"

"I'm not one for pomegranates" He looks down at the fruit, picking a seed from its core.

"Oh?"

"No, I prefer roses."

"Do you" I smirked. He knew Kore was pricked by a black rose. Was he being blunt or fictitious?

Our innocent innuendos went on like this for a couple more minutes until I went back to the swing and started again.
This time he came behind me and grabbed my
neck, forcing my eyes to face his.

"I need to know" he muttered, staring down at my lips. He was impatient to kiss them.

"Know what" I whispered, trying to calm my heartbeat. He knew I was playing dumb. I knew exactly what he was talking about.

"Turn around," he said. I smirked refusing to heed his command. I knew my defiance drove him crazy.
He didn't give me a chance to understand his next actions. He bent low, biting my neck and kissing it with his tongue.

I held his jaw, pulling him deeper into my mouth. We kissed violently, smacking with fervent intensity. The warmth of his hands tingled down my spine, endlessly searching for the knot to untie my robe.