Chapter Twenty-Five

SOPHIA WRIGHT

--------------------------------------------

Today is the day I will perform. I inhaled deeply and exhaled slowly. Alright! I entered the school and I saw our music teacher approach me.

"Good morning Ms. Wright.", she greeted.

"Good morning.", I greeted back. I saw her eyes avert to my instrument.

"Are you ready?", she asked.

"Ofcourse!", I replied.

"Alright. Let's go.", our music teacher said as my teacher and I went inside the school and we made our way to the concert hall. I have to perform well... For his sake.

-----------------------------------------------

FLORENCE JOHNSON

-----------------------------------------------

*cough*

"This isn't good. I have to...", I said to myself while I struggled to get out of bed. My body was so weak that with all the struggling, I fell on the floor. I felt really frustrated.

"Tch! Why now of all days?!", I yelled as I punched the bedroom floor. To my right, I gazed upon a picture in a frame on top of my drawer.

"Hang in there... Sophia...", I uttered wishing her all the luck that I can wish for.

-----------------------------------------

SOPHIA WRIGHT

-----------------------------------------

"I need all the luck I can get.", I said to the girl in the mirror. I sighed. I wish he was here. I took my flute out of its case and checked for any problem.

"Too bad he can't come.", I said.

"Who can't come?", someone asked. I turned around and I saw Ken.

"Do you know how to knock?", I asked.

"My bad.", Ken apologized. I didn't care to reply. Ken sat on the bench behind me while I turned back to face the mirror.

"What's with that frown?", Ken asked. My eyes widened and I looked at my self in the mirror. I saw a frowning girl in a beautiful baby pink dress holding a gold colored flute.

"By the way, I haven't seen him around.", Ken said. What he said made me sad.

"He's sick. He can't come.", I replied.

"Ah, really?", Ken asked and I didn't say a word.

"Too bad. If he wanted to see you play, he would come no matter what.", Ken said. This time, what he said had caught my attention. It somehow gave me a faint sign of hope.

"He's too sick. He can't even stand.", I replied. I heard a sound of a person standing up. The sound of the door opening was what I heard from a distance. Ken went out of the room but before he closed the door he said,

"Oh. Well, good luck out there. Break a leg.", Ken cheered me on and closed the door. Ken's lines were bothering me. Will he really come? I want to hope. Can I hope, even just a little?

--------------------------------------

FLORENCE

--------------------------------------

I have...to...go. I pushed myself to stand up. I want to see her play. I was now able to stand up and I slowly made my way to my door. I gaze upon the clock that said nine o'clock. She's been there for me all the time. My first audition... My first contest... My first win... My first loss... My first recital... My practices... She's always been supporting me this whole time even from far away. She was to play at eleven. I was now walking outside my house and I rode on my bike. It was so cold outside. Winter was near. I pedaled as fast as I could. Fever, please bare with me. I need to be there... To cheer her on... To wish her luck... Half way to the school, I looked at my wrist watch and it says it was already ten thirty. It took me one and a half hour to just make it half way to the school?! I had no choice. I abandoned my bicycle and ran as fast as I could. Sophia... Please wait. I'm almost there. I finally arrived on the school and I immediately headed to the venue. I heared applauses as Sophia's name was announced. Oh no... Was I too late?!

"You...", I heard someone say. I looked forward and I saw Ken about to go inside.

"I need to... see her... play.", I said. I didn't know why Ken had that suprised look on his face.

"You're actually here.", Ken uttered.

"Did she... perform already?", I asked.

"Not yet but it's her turn now. You better go in now or you'll miss your chance.", Ken said as he took my right arm and placed it around his shoulders. I looked at him in shock.

"I'm only helping you this time since you look so stupid.", Ken said as we went inside. We were four rows infront of her. I was in awe. She's so beautiful. She looked like a fairy in her baby pink cocktail dress and her hair tied in a bun with her curls hanging on each side of her temples. That transparent yet shiny lip balm and the light make up she's wearing made my heart race. I've fallen more in love with her. She's just so beautiful.. Not just outside but inside too... She's so perfect. It was very silent. I observed her expression and it was sad. Why was she sad?!

"Sophia wanted you to actually watch her play. I knew that she was sad so I gave her a bit of hope so she wouldn't flaunt while performing. I told her that you might actually come if you wanted to really see her play. And to think that you are actually here.", Ken said. I was astounded by what he said. Sophia was sad because I wasn't here? I have to let her know, but how? Then an idea came to me. I smiled and I inhaled deeply. Then, I shouted to the top of my lungs.

"Sophiaaa!!" Everyone turned their attention to me. Sophia showed me a shocked expression. I read her lips that was saying my name.

"You can do it!! I will be right here for you!", I shouted. Out of breath, I panted. Sophia's smile came back and I smiled at her while showing her a thumbs up. Feeling better, Sophia started to play. It was a very cute and refreshing melody. This melody seemed fsmiliar to me. Jusy then, I realized that this was the song my mom used to sing for me. I was speechless. Oh yeah. Sophia never told me what piece she was going to play. I smiled at her and kept supporting her until she was finally done. She was greeted with a resounding applause. I ran to the backstage to meet Sophia. I arrived there and I just saw her standing there. Approaching her, Sophia fell on her knees. Tears were streaming down her face.

"You came.", she said. I kneeled infront of her and hugged her as tight as I could yet with a touch of gentleness.

"Yes and you did well.", I replied. Sophia was now sobbing probably because she made it and I was there for her.

-------THIS MORNING

"You have to rest.", Sophia said.

"But I want to see you play. I want to be there to support you.", I said. Sophia pushed me down on my bed and flicked her finger on my forehead.

"No. Stay home and rest. Don't worry, I know that you are always there supporting me. I promise to bring home great news later.", Sophia said. Before I could say anything , Sophia already closed the door.

-----------PRESENT

"Thank you for coming.", Sophia said.

"Anything for you...", I replied. The fact that I fell more and more in love with this woman every single day made me think of confessing to her right here and right now.

"Sophia.", I called her.

"Yeah?", she asked.

"I need to tell you something... The truth is...", I paused. I saw Sophia's curious look. I'm sorry Sophia but I really want to tell you how much I love you already.

"Florence?", Sophia said. I pulled away a bit and I looked straight into her eyes.

"Sophia, ever since we were children I've always had this feeling that I wanted to be the one who you would only play with. Then in middle school, I had this feeling that I wanted to be with you all the time. Now, I realized what I have been feeling all this time...", I paused and I continued to look at her eyes.

"Sophia Wright, I love you!", I said it. I felt Sophia's body stiffen in shock.

"What?", she continued, "You love me?", she asked.

"I do.", I replied. Ever since I confessed, Sophia never talked to me.