( THIRTY TWO. alarmingly charming )

THIRTY TWO.
ALARMINGLY CHARMING.

              "You didn't think to call or text me to warn us?" FP asked, disappointment and confusion laced in his tone

"I'm sorry," Lexi snapped back into the phone, "It's not exactly something I'd be willing to have traced by the goddamn cops. But cat's out of the bag now I suppose."

"I'm using a friend's phone. Mine will get traced if or more likely when I get called into to the station for questioning," FP told her, staring back at Joaquin who was sitting on his couch waiting until the phone call was ended to hear the full plan; the one Lexi had to be kept out of. "This call gets traced the only thing you have to say is it was Lydia calling for fashion advice, got it?"

"Yeah, I got it." She sighed. "Be careful."

"Yeah, you too Lex." He replied before hanging up and handing Joaquin his phone back. "Lexi can't know about Jason, understand? No one can but us."

Lexi frowned as she stared down at her phone before shoving it in her pocket and making her way out of her car and inside the warmth of Pops. She spotted Cheryl smiling up at her from one of the booths and forced herself to return the gesture.

"Hey, what took you so long?" Cheryl asked as she slid into the seats facing her. "I saw your car pull up ten minutes ago."

"Toby was on the phone, ranting about some annoying attorney he has to work with on a case. I don't know I wasn't really listening." She lied straight through her teeth, the guilt bubbling at the back of her throat like heartburn.

"Well," Cheryl's smile dropped a little, "now that you're here, I have severely bad news to inform you of."

Lexi let the fake smile drop from her face immediately and reached froward to grab one of Cheryl's hands that rested on the table between them. Cheryl smiled weakly at the action, knowing Lexi wasn't much of a hand holder. "What's wrong?"

"The wolves are coming. Or the rest of the Blossom clan as my parents would put it. They're here for the maple syrup season annual celebration and they're coming to pick an heir to replace JJ."

Lexi scoffed in disbelief. "I really hate your family."

"Welcome to the club, babe." Cheryl smiled sweetly, her face as sarcastic as her words. "Anyways, my parents are making me bring a date and it can't be a girl. They'd hang me in the streets like a medieval traitor."

Lexi spread her free arm out over the top of the seat she was leaning back on, an almost amused expression playing on her face. "So what you're saying, Cherry, is that I've got competition."

Cheryl rolled her eyes at the girl's behaviour. "I'm saying, I have to go on a date with a guy and I'm inviting Archie."

Lexi made a grunting noise. "Seriously? Andrews? You wanna go on a date with that douchebag?"