( TWENTY THREE. darlin' you're mine )

TWENTY THREE.
DARLIN' YOU'RE MINE.

              The back-to-school Semi-formal was not somewhere Lexi actually wanted to be

The back-to-school Semi-formal was not somewhere Lexi actually wanted to be. Maybe for the old Lexi it would have been — the Lexi that had two living parents, the Lexi that got high as often as she blinked, the Lexi that was Riverdale High's queen. The new reinstated Lexi, however, wanted nothing more than to tell Toby to turn the car around and drive them home. But she also wanted to be able to hug her mother again and that was a luxury she'd never be able to afford.

Going to a school party should have been one of the best events during a teenager's life but Lexi had too many other troubles to think about.  There was the case of Jason missing the last transaction, her girlfriend being mean to her best friend, losing her best friend to the new girl and the slight chance her brother had a sexual transmitted disease. The last of which had yet to be confirmed by Cole's doctor.

When Lexi walked through the door to the gym, heads turned and boys and girls alike looked her up and down in her singlet black silk gown that she gotten specifically for tonight — having been given extra cash from Toby who told her to spoil herself for a change. The brunette didn't falter in her step despite the amount of eyes on her as she walked towards the drinks section where she slyly spiked the punch with the flask she had in her purse. Pouring herself a drink, she took a glance around the room to look for familiar faces.

She spotted Betty and Veronica hanging off Archie Andrews shoulders as they entered the room as a trio and felt her heart sink. Partially because she knew how badly Betty liked Archie and had been subjected to going as a friendly trio and partially because she selfishly wanted to be to one helping Betty get the boy of her dreams. It wasn't as if she was a bad friend, Lexi had thought she would appear too pushy if she forced Betty out of her comfort zone in an effort to get the two neighbours together. She thought it was best to let Betty do it when she felt the time was right herself.

Her thoughts were interrupted when Cheryl made herself known beside her by clearing her throat. "Should I be worried you've your sights set on someone else?"

Lexi smirked, turning to her and placing a bold hand on her red cloaked hip. "Oh, darlin', careful now. You're starting to sound jealous," she whispered, her lips brushing against her ear.

The brunette moved back quickly, dropping her hand knowing they couldn't have too many people see and start asking questions. Cheryl's makeup did nothing to hide the violent blush peeking through her foundation, just as red as her dress.

"God, I hate you," she mumbled causing Lexi to grin.

"That's not what you'll be screaming in bed tonight," the Hale girl retorted, gaining herself a slap in the arm. "Ow!"

"If you excuse me," Cheryl growled, glaring at her girlfriend, "I have a speech to give."

"Knock them dead, babe!" Lexi yelled, smirking as she watched her walk away with her eyes trailing up her girl's body in the gorgeous red gown.

"Good evening, friends. Are you all having a good time?" Cheryl greeted into the mic, causing a bunch of cheering to erupt. "As honorary chairperson and de facto queen of tonight's semiformal, it is my great pleasure to introduce this evening's main entertainment. To know them is to be obsessed with them. Though they usually perform their own material, tonight, they're making an exception and debuting a cover of the song my parents claim they were listening to the night Jason and I were conceived. This one's for you, JJ. Sorry about that. I give you Josie and the Pussycats."

As Cheryl made her way down the steps from the stage, leaving Josie and her pussycats to start their performance, Lexi didn't waste any time in snatching her hand. Cheryl's eyes widened in shock and slight horror as the brunette turned quickly and pulled her flush against her before whispering into her ear, "Friends can share dances too, right?"

"Lexi— my parents—" Cheryl stuttered, frowning as her confidence wavered on thin ice with Lexi's body pressed this tightly against hers. Flustered wouldn't even begin to describe how she felt in that moment. But the fear of people seeing them together and telling her parents outweighed her lust.

"Won't even care you're dancing with a friend at a semi-formal while they're out doing god knows what," Lexi promised, pulling back slightly to look her in the eyes. She just wished she could have leaned forward and silenced Cheryl's worries with a soft kiss without everyone going and telling the Blossom's their daughter kissed another girl.

The redhead caved into Lexi's wishes as she relaxed into her touch, shivers running down her back as Lexi's fingertips danced along her bare skin. What lingering looks they were given were cut short when Lexi glared over Cheryl's shoulder at anyone who paused long enough to stare.

"Well, that looks painfully awkward."

Lexi tore her narrowed eyes from a smirking Chuck Clayton to see what Cheryl was talking about. Archie and Betty were dancing together and by the looks of it, Betty looked devastated and hopeful all at once. "Shit," the brunette cursed.

"Why do you always care so much about Betty anyway?"

Looking back at her girlfriend, Lexi could see the fury conjuring up a storm in Cheryl's eyes. "She's my only friend on the Northside."

"You have me," she pointed out, her jealousy still rising as she tried to ignore the nagging thoughts of Lexi and Betty actually having a thing for each other. They sure hung out enough for them to develop feelings and ever since Jason went MIA Lexi didn't come over to the Blossom house as often. "And you don't need the Southside trash either. They're bad for you."

Lexi gritted her teeth slowly, "Cherry, we talked about this."

"And now we're talking about it again." Cheryl snapped angrily.

"You have your friends and I have mine," Lexi began, trying her best not to let her temper get the best of her but it was becoming a bigger problem for her the longer they talked about this. "Why the fuck is that a problem for you?"

"Because I don't want you to leave me too!"

It seemed their argument was put to an end as soon as the Pussycats had finished the song and the crowd erupted into cheers and applause. Lexi muttered a quick excuse to leave and Cheryl seethed watching her storm out of the gym before going to Ginger and Tina.

"Make sure those two turtledoves come to my after-party. Veronica too. I'm in the mood for chaos," Cheryl glowered glaring at Archie and Betty, knowing her usual supply of chaos was running thin now that Lexi had left.

A/N — damn, sorry to have Chexi end on bad terms with each other, but it helps explain why Cheryl doesn't like Betty so much even though she's friends with Lexi. It will also lead to more drama in the next chapter but I've got this planned don't worry ;) this chapter is unedited. be sure to let me know what you think