( SIX. the accident that is cole hale )

SIX.
THE ACCIDENT THAT IS COLE HALE.

             When the brunette woke up the following, she was lying in bed with another girl

Her first thought was to check to see if she was still wearing her clothes which were, thankfully, still in tact. Her second was to go back asleep and pretend there wasn't another person in bed with her, though that was quickly forgotten about when her eyes caught sight of a blonde mop of hair on the pillow beside her.

Lexi shut her eyes and ran a hand over her face in relief as her tired mind quickly remembered that Betty had asked to stay the night to avoid the wrath of 'Mrs Party Pooper' as Lexi had drunkenly nicknamed.

She grabbed the Advil from her bedside table and swung her bare legs over the bed as she opened the bottle and tossed two in her mouth like she had done it time and time before. Just as she swallowed the pills to rid herself of her grudge holding hangover, her bedroom door burst open to reveal a half naked Cole Hale.

"Lexi! Have you seen my other shoe?"

The girl scrunched her face up in both annoyance and confusion as she got off the bed to pick out an outfit for school. She really regretted thinking a Tuesday night party would be a good idea. "Don't you have more than one pair of shoes?"

Her brother glared at her back in response. "Yes. But I need my blue ones for my date after school."

Lexi scoffed in amusement. "You have a date?"

"Ha," Cole spat sarcastically. "Yes. Now back to the point, do you think Toby hid it?"

Lexi paused looking through her wardrobe to turn around and give him a delirious look. "Do I think our older brother, who is responsible enough to have a job and pay the bills, took your shoe and hid it from you?"

Cole ran a hand over his face and sighed, "Yes."

"What the fuck, Cole?"

He groaned, "I don't know I just want my shoe!"

"Shut up! Betty's still sleeping!" She hissed at him, pointing towards the sleeping figure that hadn't moved an inch since Lexi woke up.

His eyes automatically snapped towards the blonde on his sister's bed and widened in realisation. The duvet had been pealed away when Lexi removed herself from it and Betty's whole backside was on view. However, he, for one, was certainly not complaining.

Lexi rolled her eyes as her brother's eyes lingered for a second too long before she bent down and picked up one of her own shoes and chucked it at him, "Get out, you perv!"

The shoe effortlessly hit him in the head and he lost his balance as he tried to close the door before a loud thud was heard just as the door slammed shut and woke up Betty.

"What happened?" She groaned, jumping up and looking around her in fear.

Lexi's eyes snapped towards her and sighed at her brother's stupidity. "Nothing, just the accident that is my brother."

"Cole or Toby?"

"Good question actually," Lexi hummed as she went back to picking an outfit.

"How much did I drink last night?" Betty moaned loudly at the splitting headache as she fell back down on the covers.

Pulling out her favourite satin bomber jacket and denim shorts, Lexi smirked. "You had two and a half beers before I cut you off."

Betty groaned again. "I'm such a light weight."

Lexi laughed and nodded in agreement. "That you are, sweetie. Now get up, take two pills and get dressed before we are late to school."

"I can't even think about school right now," the blonde grumbled as she held out her hand and Lexi handled her two Advil tablets.

"Baby steps, darling." Lexi grinned, "Now how 'bout breakfast?"

The blonde's eyes widened as she felt sick to the stomach about the thought of food.

The brunette's eyes, however, sparkled with mischief. "I can get you a lovely big greasy fry with eggs drowning in oil, burnt crisp bacon, thick chewy sausage and-"

Betty slapped her hand over her mouth as she jumped up and ran out the door towards the bathroom. Lexi collapsed on her bed as she let her laughter escape her lips. The sound of throwing up travelled through the thin walls and Lexi sobered herself up enough to shout out to the suffering blonde, "So no sausages?"

After giving Betty a bowl of cereal as opposed to anything else that would make her stomach hurl, Cole had fortunately agreed to drive both girls to school which was completely necessary if they were going to get there on time.

The blonde was able to borrow some of Lexi's clothes seeing as they were just about the same size, picking out a pair of light wash jeans and a pretty peplum top with delicate designs all over it, paired with a pair of flats.

Betty had already beaten them both to the car as the two Hale's rushed about the house trying to find the last item they needed to get through the car. For Cole, it was his precious blue shoe, whereas for Lexi, it was her irreplaceable earphones which she needed for her own dear survival.

So while Cole was crawling about the floor in Toby's room looking for a shoe, Lexi was emptying her chest of drawers looking for the white wires that held her heart. When she finally found them, she quickly untangled them and by quickly, she meant it took her at least ten minutes to get them separated and she had angrily stomped her foot so many times, Cole had yelled at her to stop.

Then she wrapped them around her hand and just as she was ready to leave for school, a certain photo hanging from her mirror caught her eye. She paused mid-action and moved closer to the mirror to examine the image. The corners of the photo was tucked into the gap between the actual mirror and the wooden frame. It was of her and Chuck.

For a moment she thought of what they had together, what they could of had but the thought was quickly washed away as her bitter self reminded her there was no turning back time. She had always told herself and others, there was no point dwelling on something that you can't change.

Chuck never felt anything for her and despite the fact she never wanted a long term, serious relationship from him, it hurt to think he could so easily cheat on her and betray her the way that he did. The whole football team had been in on the joke that was their relationship, a simple bet to see how long it would take the great Lexi Hale to break down into tears.

With hardened eyes she ripped the photo from her mirror and rolled it up into a ball before tossing it into the bin. The past was the past and she was going to make that bastard pay for what he did to her.

Sprinting past Toby's room, she grabbed the car keys on the way out and threw over her shoulder, "Cole! Hurry the fuck up or I'm leaving without you!"

However, she didn't anticipate Cole sprinting after her and football tackling her at the top of the balcony causing the pair to fall down the flight of wooden stairs. And that was how Betty found the two youngest Hale siblings groaning at the bottom of the stairs as she stared down at them like a disappointed mother.