( TWENTY SEVEN. what she doesn't know... )

TWENTY SEVEN.
WHAT SHE DOESN'T KNOW...

              "Man, you broke into the school without me?!" Lexi teased as she approached Betty in the newspaper room with a copy of the Blue and Gold in her hand; the headline 'Book of Shame' big and bold on the front page

          Betty looked up from her printer that was finishing off the last patch. "Um, yeah, we did. Me, Veronica, a bunch of girls who'd been abused by Chuck... And Cheryl."

          Lexi frowned at the last name she'd added. "Cheryl?"

          "Yeah," Betty nodded, trying to keep her face blank and void of emotion, despite how tired she was from having stayed up all night to write the paper. "She didn't tell you?"

          "No," Lexi shook her head and quickly shrugged it off. "Anyways, I was thinking we could have another sleepover. We've been that busy lately that I don't think we've hung out as much. It'll be nice to catch up over hot shirtless guys on TV and a fresh batch of chocolate strawberries all to ourselves."

          "Um, can we take a rain check?" The blonde offered, refusing to look her in the eyes.

          "Yeah, no worries. Um, are you okay? You look wrecked," Lexi observed as Betty sighed and ran a hand over the top of her ponytail to smooth it out.

          "Did you know about the playbook?" Lexi's silence was all the answers Betty needed. "Yeah, that's was I thought."

          Lexi's eyes widened slightly at the amount of hostility in Betty's tone. This was the first time they'd actually been angry at one another and Lexi didn't even know the exact cause of Betty's anger. "Didn't you see my name?"

          Betty paused in her actions of shuffling the last copies of the school newspaper in her hands and this time, it was Betty who frowned in confusion. "It wasn't there."

          The brunette gave a bitter laugh, "Mine was the first name in the fucking book, Betty. Jason told me, Cole and him made Chuck scribble it out."

          "But still, you knew about it!" Betty exclaimed, wanting to know why she did nothing to stop them. "You knew what they were writing about girls in our year."

          "You're really going to fight with me over this? A book, really Betty?" Lexi glared at her, arching an eyebrow in question. "I did nothing because even if I got rid of one book, they'd make another."

          Betty stiffened at her words, eyes widening as she got the hint where Lexi was going with this.

          "I mean, you don't really think of this as a victory, do you?" Lexi scoffed, a bitter smile on her lips as she threw the Blue and Gold down in front of the blonde. "They're just going to make another, or even better record their scores on their bloody phones!"