Chapter 42 - The Last Act

The trial has officially begun.

They were not there to see who the guilty ones are. They were all guilty. It's purpose was to know why it was contested. Was it self-defense? Was it manslaughter and not murder?

They have selected the jury to decide a term of years in prison or life in prison or death. It would take them longer because the judge had to instruct the jury before and after each trial. The attorneys had created arguments to help the jurors understand the case and to persuade the jurors to find for them. It was a complex process.

Their first day of the trial, they let Morrie and Alice speak about what happened. Alice told everything she had been through with Jorge since day one, how they met and the horrors she lived with him. She also admitted her history with Lawrence, also known as, Joe, and how he came up with all his revenge plan. She was stern as a rock when she stated everything with honesty.

Morrie, on the other hand, didn't go easy on Joe. She yelled at him when it was her turn to speak.

"You fucker weren't contented by beating me up and starving me! You chained me like an animal and raped me like an object! And that didn't stop you, you had to burn my feet so I can't escape from your basement! You are a wiry evil son of a bitch!"

Joe let out a silent laugh then said "You fucked me first, remember?"

Morrie trembled in anger after seeing his reaction. It overwhelmed her self control. She cried, "How dare you turn this on me?! That's because I thought you are my friend! I didn't know how monstrous you really are!"

Their lawyer said, "Did you use Morrie to be your bait because you knew Alice would come to save her?"

"Yes." ,Joe confessed, smiling like it was funny.

The people inside the court reacted to his aggravating smile. They were infuriated by how he acted. He said, "All of you kept on leaving your shit in the past and then get mad when you realized you created a monster then end them when they finally come to get you----I'm specifically talking about you, Alice."

The people looked at Alice. All the eyes were on her. She felt a certain amount of pressure upon defending herself. She thought it was not the right time to get insecure so she courageously stood up for herself. She said "I am not responsible for your actions. I do not control your behavior. You did it all... And you did this all not to take revenge on me... You did this all because you wanted to prove to yourself that you are greater than everybody else because deep down, you lack self-worth so you look for it by killing people under your superiority, so finally you can feel good about yourself in the ways you know how."

"Is anyone here going to address that I was bullied and they killed my mother?"

Alice shouted, "They didn't kill your mother! It was an accident! But you--you killed those people intentionally!"

Joe did not answer. He did not want to go around nagging about his emotions towards the death of his mother. He knew he liked the feeling when he killed them. He enjoyed himself and found great pleasure in it.

The judge proceeded with the procedure. The selected jury had submitted questions for the judge to ask the witnesses. Judge Damon asked what was written.

"Mr. Jorge Kione, didn't you have a single idea that you were being experimented at all? Any memory about it?"

Jorge replied, "Your honor, I didn't know what they did to me. There are parts of my life that I don't clearly remember anymore. My memory was fragmented. I just know I was the president of my company and that my next target was Alice. I didn't even know that Joe was behind everything that was charged against me before. I didn't know anything about the connections with the hospital and the chief."