Chapter 16 - Reputation

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean?"

"If you haven't noticed, this isn't a normal military. They aren't strict and they even have a fucking mall the size of a town. The shopping district. They have tons of entertainment and, hell, you can do anything you want. A ton of shit here is for fun and they make you feel like you're living a full life. They have rules and can be hella blunt and dramatic about shit. Like punishments going as far as death. They recognize we are risking our lives unwillingly."

"Damn. I guess you're right. Normal militaries don't have this kind of freedom. If you don't mind me asking, you wouldn't happen to know how this all happened, would you?"

"Look, man, I don't really care to give you a history lesson right now, so how about ya go to someone else. I'm trying to get some rest today before my match."

"You're match?"

"Hey, Nathaniel! You met Marcus."

"Oh, hey James. Yeah, sort of."

Marcus? Rosalin had mentioned this guy before. She mentioned him while she told me about the story of the old champion. He was there for that whole event...

"Yo Liz, is that you?"

Fuck! That was who James went to go get. She probably hates me again.

"Hey, Marcus! Long-time no see."

They grab each other's right hand and pulls toward each other, half hugging...

"How ya been, girl?"

"Could be better. I'm ight though."

"That's good shit."

"Lizzie, Nathaniel's here as well y'know."

"You know this guy, Lizzie?"

"Yeah... He's my new partner."

"No fucking kidding... Ey! You better hold yo own weight, ya feel? Lizzie ain't partnered with no bitches."

"Yeah, he a bitch, Marcus."

"Nah, for real? What's a little bitch-boy done, Lizzie?"

Oh god. Now he's going to hate me. Fuck! It's happening here too. No matter what I'm either hated or a loser or, hell, even both!

"Wait, did I miss something or what? Nathaniel's a good guy. He's just been given a bad hand. C'mon Lizzie, this ain't about him being a cripple, is it?"

"..."

She sighs...

"I just don't like him, James."

"Well, I think he's alright. Just give him time, Lizzie. He is, after all, still alive for someone who isn't supposed to be here."

"James, whatchu talking about?"

"You guys know I'm right here, right?"

"..."

"He's not supposed to be here. His blood, organs, and skin tissue are too weak for the endoskeleton. For whatever reason, he's perfectly fine however, General thinks his body will give up any moment. General also said that he won't be nearly as strong as any of our soldiers. Then, General went on about how his dad used to tell him shit and that he thinks Nathaniel's special."

"No wonder you ain't like him, Lizzie. He a damned mistake!"

"James, can you fuck off and take Nathaniel with you. Y'all are pissing me off."

"What did I do?"

"Fuck! Off!"

James grabs my arm and takes me to the back of the truck...