XXXVI

When Sean dies eventually it's just gonna be a big phat oof and none of us are prepared.

Story missions behind the scenes:
The Course of True Love I & II

Please feel free to leave a vote and/or comment, make sure to click that follow button for updates and as always, enjoy the chapter!

Nyx's POV

The clanking of a bowl against the wooden table in front of me caused my shoulders to tense. I blinked a couple of times, staring down at the fresh, steaming stew before looking up at the man quizzically. Charles Smith offered me a soft smile, nodding to me in greeting before wandering away not giving me the chance to speak.

"Wow, such a gentleman." Kieran drawled sarcastically, rolling his eyes from next to me. Sean and Harley nodded in agreement, the latter watching the Native head back to his tent.

"He thinks he can just earn your trust by delivering your dinner to you? Pathetic." Harley huffed with a scowl. "Honestly, men are so dense sometimes."

"We're right here, you know?" Sean chuckled, glancing at Kieran who simply grinned in amusement.

"I think it was a nice gesture." I shrug, much to Harley's dismay. "But, it doesn't change the fact that he screwed us."

"Well, I don't know about you... But, he definitely did not screw me." My best friend smirked playfully. I shook my head at her with a ghost of a smile.

"He can mend our friendship all he wants; he sure as hell ain't getting anything more." I stated, lifting a spoonful of stew to my lips. Harley nods curtly before turning back to her conversation with Sean.

"I think I'm gonna head out." I overheard Arthur say as he passed by Charles' tent. The Native nodded silently, constructing some more arrows. I watched the dark-haired male closely, my gaze fixated on how delicately he built the arrows. By the time I turned back to look at my friends, I realized they had all scattered. Was I really staring for that long? Seeing as I had no one to stop me, I wandered over to Charles' tent and came to a halt in front of him, unsure of what to say.

"Thanks for the stew." My voice croaked awkwardly, causing me to curse under my breath. The Native nodded but did not look up from the arrow he held. However, his motions did pause for a moment. "I- uh..." I trailed off lamely, biting my lip in embarrassment. "Would you like some help?"

"Help?" The man echoed in confusion, finally glancing up at me with wide eyes. "Do you even know how to make arrows?"

"Uh... Not really. But I'm a quick learner." I toy with the loose strands of hair that had unraveled from my braid. "Plus, you look like you could use some company." Charles pondered my offer, the corners of his lips twitching slightly as he fought back a smile.

"Sure." He simply agreed, tossing me some supplies. I caught them swiftly before sitting myself cross-legged on the grass. My fingers fiddled with the items, my brow furrowing as I snuck a peek at the arrow that Charles was currently building. I silently copied his actions, eventually creating a somewhat sloppy replica. Over and over again I practiced making the arrows, slowly but surely memorizing the steps and finally making decent creations. I grinned proudly to myself as I reached for more supplies, Charles' admirable stare going completely unnoticed as I continued with the task.

Harley's POV

"Come on, babe!" I whine dramatically, grasping the Irishman's wrist. Sean merely stared at me, his green eyes twinkling.