XXVII - Part II

I'm just gonna dive straight in...

Please feel free to leave a vote and/or comment, make sure to click that follow button for updates and as always, enjoy the chapter!

12 hours remaining

Harley's POV

I had just reached Emerald Ranch when the sun began to set. I checked my pocket watch anxiously, biting my lip. It's 6:00 pm, meaning there's 12 hours left before the O'Driscoll's execute Sean. My black boots made the wooden floor creak upon entering the general store, the bell ringing softly.

"Good afternoon, Miss." The shopkeeper greeted nonchalantly, a ghost of a smile gracing his face. "Looking for anything in particular?"

"Just food." I replied, scanning the various canned food silently. I grasped multiple canned of apricots and baked beans and placed them on the counter before heading over and grabbing some fresh apples and corn for Sterling. "I think that should be enough."

"Long journey?" He questioned, accepting the cash from my hand. I swallowed thickly, packing the food into my backpack.

"Something like that." Swinging my bag over my shoulder, I head towards the door. "Thanks, Mister." I called, exiting the building. "Okay, let's go." A hiss slipped through my gritted teeth as I applied all my weight onto my recovering leg, tugging myself up on to Sterling's back. We trotted away from the store and out of the small town. "Woah!" I exclaimed. We halted at the sight of a large passenger train stopped on the tracks. My silver stallion grunted, wandering over to the front of the train and finding no conductor. Sighing, I jumped into the engine compartment and started the train before launching myself back onto Sterling. The train began chugging away and I waved at the worried passengers with a smirk. It took about five minutes for the train to clear the tracks so I could cross.

What kind of conductor abandons their train with a bunch of passengers on it?

11 hours remaining

Nyx's POV

"I– I still think we shouldn't have just abandoned the passengers in the middle of the tracks..." Kieran huffed, sitting near the lake. We were currently situated at Heartland Overflow, watching as the bright sun lowered slowly towards the horizon.

"I'm sure they're fine, someone would've found them by now." I shrug, blowing a strand of hair out of my face. Zaliver and Robin splashed their hooves around in the water, enjoying their playtime. I checked my pocket watch briefly, furrowing my brows. "It's been 11 hours..."

"She'll come back." Kieran reassured, patting my shoulder. "I'm sure of it."

"I don't like it when she's absent... We're not usually apart for long." I admit, resting my temple against the brunette's shoulder. My chocolate eyes flicker up to meet his silvery blue ones. The sound of his breath hitching slightly caused me to raise a brow teasingly. But then I began to realize... 'just friends' don't look at each other like this. I blushed awkwardly, leaning away from him and averting back to the topic. "I just wish I knew what she was doing."

"It sounded important to her." He commented, his blue-gray eyes now trained on the ripples in the lake. "I've never seen her raise her voice at you before."

"That's because she doesn't." My bottom lip caught between my teeth as I stood up from the ground. "Something's wrong." I head towards Zaliver.