XXIII

Oh yes, it gets worse ladies, gentlemen and those who identify as anything in between! And in case you were wondering, yes, I do enjoy destroying characters' happiness.

This is a flashback chapter of Harley's past before her and Nyx became bounty hunters! Hope it allows for some understanding as to why the girls act the way they do. I also just wanted to show how even though they contrast so much, that they are so similar in many ways!

Please feel free to leave a vote and/or comment, make sure to click that follow button if you're enjoying the story and as always, enjoy the chapter.

Harley's POV

My stomach growled loudly as I sat on top of my sleeping bag, my knees pulled close to my chest and my face buried in between. I had run out of food a week ago, meaning I could survive for about two more. Luckily, I had set my tiny campsite up next to a river, so I could easily gather and boil the water to eventually drink. I let out a raspy sigh, uncurling myself and stretching, groaning at the soreness of my little amount of muscle.

Money had ran out a month ago when I had restocked my food supply, for what would be the last time, with canned apricots and apples. For now, I would live off hunting and gathering until I had enough to sell. A weak grunt escaped me as I pushed myself off the ground, my limbs getting weaker by the day. Silently, I put out the fire and packed up my perishables, sleeping bag and tent before hiding it in a hollowed log. Dusting off my hands, I begin walking in the general direction of Strawberry. There was no real reason for me to be visiting, but I was desperately in need of some company.

It was about a 15 minute walk from my camp, but I didn't mind. I didn't have a horse at the moment, not wanting to burden a poor animal with my problems. I stumbled into the saloon, taking in the scent of alcohol and cigarettes. Forcing a smile on my face, I sat at an empty table in the corner and took out my notebook. I observed people around the bar, doing quick gesture sketches of them. Out of the corner of my eye, a figure stood at the edge of my table.

"Excuse me, d- do you mind if I sit?" A soft voice asked. I blinked, slowly looking up at the person. It was a girl around my age with long brunette locks that reached just below her breasts. She had a kind face with very gentle features and beautiful brown eyes, the kind that make you just melt inside. The girl watched me curiously, awaiting my answer.

"Uh... yeah. Yeah, sure." I chuckled awkwardly. The brunette sat down at the table, her fingertips drumming on the table due to her shaking hands. "I'm Harley." The girl's eyes meet mine once again and only then did I notice the dark bags under her eyes. Deciding to be polite, I didn't draw any attention to them.

"Nyx." She replied quietly, her tone wavering. The girl sounded like she had been through hell, a demeanor so fragile that I was afraid she might shatter if I even breathe in her direction.

"Well, I'd say you need a drink." I give her a small smile, rummaging around in my bag. I was already aware that I was flat out broke, but I prayed that I would latch onto something of value. Nyx furrowed her brows slightly, studying me silently. Just when I thought I was out of luck, my hand enclosed around a few coins at the bottom of my bag. Pulling them out, I counted them before letting out a sigh. Knowing it was all I had left, I slid it across the table to her with a nod. "Go get yourself something good."

"No, I can't accept this." She shakes her head, staring at the coins with wide eyes. I let out a chuckle.

"I insist." The brunette hesitantly takes the money, looking at me unsurely. I nod, gesturing to the bar. She wanders away, looking slightly anxious as she talks to the bartender. I grin to myself, leaning my chin against my palm. Nyx eventually comes back, gin in hand. She sits across from me now, facing me.