XXIX

Please feel free to leave a vote and/or comment, make sure to click that follow button for updates and as always, enjoy the chapter!

Charles' POV

The bright solar rays beat down on the group as we trotted into Emerald Ranch, deciding it was best to stop and take a short rest. Nyx and Kieran were still nowhere to be seen and as we sat at the saloon I began to wonder if I'd ever see Nyx's beautiful face again. I knew she probably hated my guts and doesn't want anything to do with me at this point, but the empty space in my heart desperately needed some sort of sign telling me there was still hope for us.

"Charles, now is not the time to act so gloomy." Sean huffed, glaring at me over the rim of his glass. John rolled his eyes, swishing his drink around nonchalantly.

"I've ruined my whole relationship with Nyx, Sean. You couldn't show a little remorse?" I grumbled in a dull tone. The redhead smacked my shoulder harshly with an unimpressed scowl.

"Ye brought this upon yeself." Sean retorted, his green eyes trailing over to Arthur across the saloon. The brunette was seated alone in the corner, staring into his bottle with his jaw clenched tightly. "Both of ye did." Arthur ignored the Irishman's comment, seemingly lost in deep thought.

"I'm going to get some air." I mutter, pushing my chair back and standing up. As I made my way to the door, it swung open loudly. My breath hitched audibly as my gaze pierced the familiar chocolate brown eyes of lost love. She looked slightly different from the last time I saw her; now wearing a brand new outfit and donning dark bags under her eyes. My mind raced extremely fast as I searched for something to say.

"Charles..." Nyx breathed out meekly, staring up at me with eyes as wide as saucers. I took a step forward, allowing for a sad smile to grace my lips. It faded instantly as the girl flinched back, knocking shoulders with Kieran who immediately stepped in front of her with his arm out as a form of barrier. There were visible tears that began to spill down her cheeks and I furrowed my brows, feeling my heart shatter into thousands of pieces.

"Nyx, I'm s–"

"Back off, Smith." Kieran interrupted. "She doesn't want to talk to you." I glanced back at the boys, who raised their brows in surprise at Kieran's boldness. Nyx held onto Kieran's arm securely, causing an odd feeling to erupt in my gut.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I had no right to treat you that way and turn on you so quickly, it was wrong. I can't live without you Nyx, I've tried! I want you to know that, even if you hate me, I still lo–"

I was cut off by a sharp, aching pain in my jaw. A groan escaped my lips as my head knocked back from the force, my hand grasping the swelling area. Blinking, I stared in shock as Kieran shook out his fist, his teeth gritted angrily.

"Okay, I deserved that." I admitted, lowering my head sadly. Sean nudged past me, smiling softly at Nyx and Kieran.

"You're alive!" The small brunette girl exclaimed, wiping her tears and rushing past Kieran to give Sean a friendly hug. "Harley went out looking, we think she was looking for you–"

"Yes, yes. I was captured by the O'Driscolls and held hostage in their camp. Harley found me and made a rather stupid trade, a hostage for a hostage." The Irishman informed, patting the girl's shoulder with a frown. "We're on our way to get her back."

"You know, I still don't get why she would go there by herself just to save you." Arthur pointed out in annoyance, squinting at the redhead. Sean glanced back at him with a blank expression, his eyes shielding his emotions from us.