Chapter Twenty Eight - Overwatch

In comparison to your original journey to Talon, this dropship ride was far more pleasant. Lúcio was kind and talkative, and he also acted incredibly amiably considering he had been forced to cancel the rest of his US tour because of you. Olivia also appeared to enjoy conversing with the DJ, although you were finding it increasingly difficult to remember to call her 'Sombra' in front of other people.

"Alright...I've got to ask, that night in Utopaea. Why were you there?" you questioned, still not entirely sure of Lúcio's motives.

The DJ chuckled knowingly, clearly waiting for you to ask that.

"Well, I'm no fan of Vishkar. When they 'expand', innocent lives get crushed underneath 'em. I was hoping to find something...anything incriminating to stop them in their tracks" he explained.

If what you had heard about him was true, then the Vishkar Corporation had done some horrible things to his home, including using the people there as cheap labour. It was no wonder he wanted to strike back.

"You broke into a high-tech facility with the hope that you might find something. That's brave...or stupid" Olivia commented.

You had expected Lúcio to retaliate somehow, maybe get angry, but the DJ simply laughed.

"You can talk, breaking in for an assassination. Look, it isn't just hope, I know that Vishkar are dirty, and your Talon mission proved that. Thanks to you, I know that Vishkar are trading weaponized omnics with a terrorist organisation. Knowing what's happening is half the battle" he answered, causing you to nod in understanding.

"Yeah, well...unfortunately we've still got the other half of that battle ahead of us, and I reckon we haven't seen the worst of it yet. Do you think Overwatch will help us?" you asked, watching a look of uncertainty appear on Lúcio's face.

That was hardly a promising sign.

"Hard to say, they'll want to...but Overwatch isn't in a good place right now. The recall protocol came into action just under a year ago, but even now we're understaffed. Half of our old members refuse to return, and those who are here aren't exactly at their best. Don't expect a large base when you arrive...we're still fighting, but only barely" the DJ replied, causing you to let out a deep sigh.

After everything you had sacrificed just to meet these people, they had better be willing to help. If Overwatch weren't willing to aid you, then you weren't exactly sure where else you could turn.

"Attention. Five minutes to destination. Advise strapping in and bracing for landing" Athena, an artificial intelligence that served Overwatch, stated.

You did as the AI instructed, sitting back and mentally preparing yourself for the path ahead. Persuading the members of Overwatch probably wasn't going to be easy, but you had to try.

The shuttle landed down roughly, scuffing the ground as it reached a halt. The engines made a whirring sound as they cycled down, and the rear doors opened outwards, revealing daylight. At least Overwatch didn't operate from a dark underground base like Talon.

Lúcio led the way, skating down the boarding ramp and anxiously glancing around. You and Olivia followed closely behind, frowning curiously at the lack of people. Even if the Overwatch leaders didn't want to welcome you personally, there should have been some form of landing staff there to see to the shuttle.

"Lúcio? What are you doing here? I thought you were on tour..." a voice called, and you swiftly turned to see the source.

With a bemused look, you watched as a cloaked older woman with an eyepatch strolled towards you. You were sure you recognised her from one of Talon's files but couldn't for the life of you remember a name.